• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

murder of REDIFFUSION

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
main and only suspect: lau lee

weapon for the crime: BANNING OF DIALECTS

verdict: rediffusion dies a slow painful death. many of their fans espcially the senior folks now lost forever something endearing in their life.

does the old man repent? does the pap leegime regrets? is our dialect roots permanently LOST??

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
it shall be a sad sad day when one day we realise that our dialect roots are totally admonished and lost forever. it's already happening now. just look at our kids. talk to them in your own dialect and u can see stars and question marks floating around their heads.

the kids cannot understand their very own dialect. the parents are aggravating the situation by not talking to them in hokkien, cantonese, teochew or other dialects.

this is really a great sin - to forget our roots.

who are the murderers behind all this?

PAP and lau lee. when would they wake up that this if a direful effect for the nation. we might be chinese. yes. but still we have our own unique dialect, rich culture and custom. why are the gov wanna destroy that and promote something that is unnatural?

what the hell is speak MANDARIN? we are NOT PRC, for heaven sake!!

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Come over to mat land. Freedom of language is a right. But damn Chinese right wing bastards trying to make everyone mandarin speaking, including the mats. Cannot speak mandarin, no work.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Come over to mat land. Freedom of language is a right. But damn Chinese right wing bastards trying to make everyone mandarin speaking, including the mats. Cannot speak mandarin, no work.

You sure or not m&d? Right wing chinese in a m&d dominated country that discriminates chinese? You sure?

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bastard Bob, never suck your quota of cocks today I see, no wonder so much shit spewing from that cunt you call a mouth.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
many oldies grow up with rediffusion. that's how my storytelling li'l brother got his name LEETAHSAR from the legendary canto storyteller LEI TAI SOR. then there is the hokkien version ONG TOH and many others. all these made a martial arts noverl cum alive.

my best impression was ong toh's "lu hup orh buay hia" or translated, the swordswoman black butterfly. lei tai sor's CONDOM HEROES was very awesome!!

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it the radio with only hokkien n teochew ? :biggrin:

it was the lst kind of "cabled radio". there used to be many sponsors and many quizzes with tempting prizes. beside telecasting dialects, there were the usual mandarin and english channels.

however, malay n indian were left out in rediffusion programs.

think it was like $5 a month subscription rate then.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
mediacorpse now only telecasts different dialects annoucing the news. they left out many of the senior folks who listen to dialect storytelling.

this is very sad. it proves that pap are ignoring n depriving of our senior folks the minimal entertainment they are surely entitled to.

WHY DO THEY BAN DIALECTs?

the speak mandarin is such a fake and fuckup edict issued by the old man. and no one brave enough in the pappie camp dares to stand up to criticise it and rectify it.

'ÄLWAYS THERE FOR YOU...."

you believe? if u do, god bless you!

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kam sia ts for the info :biggrin: $5 a mth consider ex liao i guess not all family have that.

they had very easy to win quizzes. my mum won quite substantially cos last time i got her a very fast auto-dial cordless phone :smile: i m not sure. maybe it could have been $3.

Tension68

Alfrescian
Loyal
mediacorpse now only telecasts different dialects annoucing the news. they left out many of the senior folks who listen to dialect storytelling.

this is very sad. it proves that pap are ignoring n depriving of our senior folks the minimal entertainment they are surely entitled to.

WHY DO THEY BAN DIALECTs?

the speak mandarin is such a fake and fuckup edict issued by the old man. and no one brave enough in the pappie camp dares to stand up to criticise it and rectify it.

'ÄLWAYS THERE FOR YOU...."

you believe? if u do, god bless you!

Sigh.. I grew up with Redifusion.. Lei Dai Sor was my fav.. from jin yong's novels, to ghost stories.. to anything.. he had that touch. Now.. I only got one CD of his telecasts (and duno if from Redifusion or not).. ONE.. sigh.

When they chose to ban dialects, and started speak mandarin.. I heard it was bcos not many ppl spoke mandarin.. and there was a plan to "go into PRC land". "To show sincerity" to the PRC ppl, they used their "thunder" to eradicate all dialects in radio and TV., (err redifusion considered radio?)

It was interesting that when SARS hit Sg, infos on TV and Radio had to be done in dialects.. to let the elderly.. and those who dun understand mandarin or english to get the message of washing hands properly, and not spitting (sigh.. ppl still doing that even now).

Isn't it funny that we hear HK drama serials that start in Canto.. and den they speak in mandarin? The most funny thing is that some Taiwanese shows has hokkien (or tai yu, as they call it in taiwan), and it is allowed.. but if u were to watch and listen carefully, sometimes the Canto are cut out altogether.

We do haf younger generation who can understand dialects.. but can't speak them.. these are the better ones.. there are those who dun understand or speak at all. It is sad that one can't speak in their mother tongues.. it's like a lost heritage.. but Sg is probably a place where heritages haf to give way to "productivity and growth".. heck.. even cemeteries with history also has to gif way to expressways and roads..

Redifusion.. sigh.. I miss it. err.. does that make me a senior citizen??? Watever.. I love Lei Dai Sor...

streetcry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Former DJ buys iconic Rediffusion

SINGAPORE: Former radio DJ-turned-Chinese-language school principal, Madam Chang Mei Hsiang, has purchased the Rediffusion brand, its archives and equipment in an effort to bring the iconic radio service back on air.

A press conference has been scheduled on Friday where she will reveal more of her plans.

Mdm Chang told Chinese daily Lianhe Zaobao that she had fond memories of Rediffusion, which she joined in 1985 after arriving in Singapore from Taiwan.

At the station, she was among the most popular DJs and had the support of many listeners.

Apart from being a DJ, Mdm Chang also took on the role of programme producer for seven years.

She told Lianhe Zaobao that her intention is to help preserve a part of Singapore's heritage, as the radio station had witnessed the country's development over the past 63 years.

Rediffusion, Singapore's only subscription-based radio broadcaster, went silent from April 30 as losses piled up.

In its heyday, it attracted more than 100,000 subscribers who tuned in for everything from American rock 'n' roll music to Chinese dialect programmes by master storytellers such as Lee Dai Sor, Ng Chia Kheng and Ong Toh.

The broadcaster's decision to sign off sparked calls from listeners, clan associations and even Members of Parliament to preserve dialect programming. - TODAY

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tension68 said:
Redifusion.. sigh.. I miss it. err.. does that make me a senior citizen??? Watever.. I love Lei Dai Sor...

Yes. I loved to listen to Lei Dai Sor despite the fact that sometimes you could catch him falling asleep and not too infrequently he could repeat an episode he had read the previous day. His imitation of the female character, not the voice but the manner of speaking made the programmes very alluring.

The Speak Mandarin campaign together with the destruction of Chinese dialects removed quite a bit of our heritage and could indirectly led to the demise of Rediffusion. But compared to this the FT programme today is a bigger exercise in human engineering.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The broadcaster's decision to sign off sparked calls from listeners, clan associations and even Members of Parliament to preserve dialect programming. - TODAY

instead of just blaming the govt, part of the blame must be allocated to you people. u ppl cannot even spare $10 a month to subscribe rediffussion. Another one are the clan associations, only know to NATO. together with the chinese chamber of commerce, they could have provide soft credit to rediffussion to tide over first. KNN, now kopitiam only have TV, why kopitiam cannot apply for a rediffussion too?

The rediffussion set in my home fell silent after april, now my mom have to listen to 95.8 which i hate. no more oldies and plays for her to listen while she cooks, no more hongkong radio programs for me while i eat. And it all you people faults!!!:oIo::oIo:

Tension68

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. I loved to listen to Lei Dai Sor . His imitation of the female character, not the voice but the manner of speaking made the programmes very alluring.

The Speak Mandarin campaign together with the destruction of Chinese dialects removed quite a bit of our heritage and could indirectly led to the demise of Rediffusion. But compared to this the FT programme today is a bigger exercise in human engineering.

Oh ya ya.. I remember! Tin Long Bart Bou (canto) or Tian Long Ba Bu.. his switch from Duen Yu to Wong Yu Yen (canto).. wahahaha.. so cute and funny!

If I remember correctly, the ghost stories "Midnight Strange Tales" (Mm Yeh Kei Tan in canto) was on Tuesday nites. I used to bring my bolster and cover myself in blanket, along wif my cousins to listen.. we were all so frightened.. but still want to listen.

And I agree... the FT invasion is wreaking havoc. Well, all I can say is pappies policies seem to "erase the good and bring in the bad". That's how I feel. Oh.. if Redifusion comes back.. I want to apply for a job there.

Last edited: