• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gastronomical disaster .... which is worst ...?? ...

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Anyone mentioned mee ??? :biggrin::biggrin:
I know Singapore hokkien mee a.k.a Chinese Spaghetti, white in colour. :biggrin::biggrin:
Taste like duno what crap... :biggrin::biggrin:

This is genuine Hokkien Mee.

hokkien+mee7.bmp

Shiok shiok... Hard to find a good one in Sinki... :o

U must be Malaysian. I can only find this dark wet crap in Malaysia. The SIngapore one with the bee hoon and yellow noodles is still the best. Must have no chai sim in it.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Yes, that's the real stuff. Commonly available in KL, Ipoh and Penang, but not in Singapore or even Johor. Thick black soggy but tasty stuff.

To be fair, the Singapore version (white bee hoon and yellow mee mix) was also generally good until the 2000s. The last palatable ones remaining that I can recommend is Beach Road (thin bee hoon dry style), Toa Payoh Lor. 5 and Bedok Interchange (thick bee hoon soggy style). All standards have fallen since the 80s and 90s days but still acceptably palatable.

The last best of the thick soggy style I've tasted was at a Serangoon coffeeshop near Balestier junction. The old man sat on a stool to fry. There were no successor. The Beach Road thin dry style is into 3rd generation.

That is not the real stuff. That is the malaysians calling it Hokkien mee. The singapore version is the real stuff. Yes, the bedok interchange one is good too. I think he sells O Luat also? The best singapore style Hokkien mee i ever tasted was the one next to Rochore canal near Little India serangoon road. He was only opened at night. He set up outside the corner coffeeshop, had the wok going non stop the whole night, very busy. After he retired his son took over, but it does not taste as good as before. I dunno why, the boy must have been helping him for years, yet cannot cook the same. Like Gay Loong.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is not the real stuff. That is the malaysians calling it Hokkien mee. The singapore version is the real stuff. Yes, the bedok interchange one is good too. I think he sells O Luat also? The best singapore style Hokkien mee i ever tasted was the one next to Rochore canal near Little India serangoon road. He was only opened at night. He set up outside the corner coffeeshop, had the wok going non stop the whole night, very busy. After he retired his son took over, but it does not taste as good as before. I dunno why, the boy must have been helping him for years, yet cannot cook the same. Like Gay Loong.

The Malaysian one is called Hokkien Mee. The Singapore one is called Hokkien Char Hay Mee, a.k.a. Char Sotong Mee. What I meant by "real stuff" is that's real gastronomic delight. :wink:

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Char Kuay Teow without cockels or Mee Rebus without green chilli slices ....:confused:

Actually, that's how I take it. Char Kway Teow with black sauce without cockels and without chilli and Mee Rebus without green chilli or "chang", just black sauce.

And all my life, my roast chicken rice is taken with just the sauces they pour on (sesame oil and other oils) and thick black sauce and never take chilli with it too.

All these may seem strange to you but that's the way I like it. And Yes, I'm a native Singaporean :biggrin:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
nanbeh, took my tourist friends to people's park to try to toh kee DUCK stall...highly recommended.....standard drops like hell and the duck meat even SMELLS!!!!!!!!

what a let down for me and my tourist friends!!!!!!!

why your duck meat smell??? and the charsiew is so hard!!!!!!!!!

jw5

Loyal
chendol with the artificial green stuff!!!...where got such a thing????

chendol with no gula melaka!!!!!no red beans!!!! this is horrible..feel like throwing the chendol back to the stall!!!...in a food court!!!....worst still in a restaurant!!!
Isn't the "green stuff" supposed to be the chendol?
It's the red beans and the gula melaka that are the additional condiments. Unlike the chendol which is supposed to be essential. :smile:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
All these may seem strange to you but that's the way I like it. And Yes, I'm a native Singaporean :biggrin:

I had no idea halal "Char Kuay Teow" existed.:rolleyes: I'm sure it doesn't taste quite right without the pork lard.

jw5

Loyal
Actually, that's how I take it. Char Kway Teow with black sauce without cockels and without chilli and Mee Rebus without green chilli or "chang", just black sauce.

And all my life, my roast chicken rice is taken with just the sauces they pour on (sesame oil and other oils) and thick black sauce and never take chilli with it too.

That is very strange. Can't imagine chicken rice without chilli.
In some cases, I can do without the chicken but not the chilli. :smile:

jw5

Loyal
I had no idea halal "Char Kuay Teow" existed.:rolleyes: I'm sure it doesn't taste quite right without the pork lard.
You have been away from SG too long.
The queue at the char kway teow stall at the halal foodcourts like Banquet, is usually the longest.
There's cockles, but of course no pork lard and cooked with vegetarian oil.

Maggot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello everybody, I love this thread, it makes me feel hungry.

Gastronomical disaster is good, either you can't finish or you puke, and that's food for me and my buddies. Yummy! Slurp!

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal

Who is talking about halal Char Kway Teow although it can be found in Banquet Food Court. I don't take see hum and chilli with my CKT but pork lard is essential.

In fact, food now is too healthy. The friend lard pieces are so small. Used to be much bigger and crisply in the good ole days.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I don't take see hum and chilli with my CKT but pork lard is essential.

My apologies. There are very few non Muslim Malays in Singapore and it didn't cross my mind that you were one of them.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Teochew moi without the kiam chye. That would be a crime.
Lontong without the egg (fried or hard boiled)
Soup Kambing without the loti.

jw5

Loyal
Teochew moi without the kiam chye. That would be a crime.
Lontong without the egg (fried or hard boiled)
Soup Kambing without the loti.
Do you mean chye buay or kiam chye? The latter is much more salty than the former, they are different.
Teochew muay is also great with sambal haebi, small fried sotong, fish cakes, and the sour chilli sauce.
Yum! :smile: