• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Re: Your Friendly Bank in Singapore!

A learned bro shared this with me in response to my work.

The vanishing skyline

The land i used to know, the smiles i used to see.
Vanishing without a trace, yet another new face.

The people now seemed so strange, many more languages in a range

Adapt or die they say, but not to the guest, to our great dismay
To the host, they say complain not, to the guest they smiled and say,
why not?

Where does this road leads us, if economic prowess is the only
way. The lost and hungry never get their say. An empty tray
in a fastfood restaurant awaits them and a spare place in void deck
beckons.

An empty shell with gilded bars, a prison full of crowded cars.
Lacking soul in its constant pursuit of the next dollar while
always ignoring the many losses.

A generation lost, a nation overcome without any force

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Okay, JB doesnt sound cheap 10 years down the road... It seems that your investments in JB are paying off. Malaysia is still very much more stable and promising than many countries now.

Hi FHBH12, back then i shared as soon as i planted my flag there. I didn't wait and only start the forum now when things are taking off. I started on the same day i actually got the keys. There are many states and still (currently ignored) niches of Johore we can go to.

Kulai, Senai are but one of them. Even Pontian or Desaru would be nice one day. :wink:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi FHBH12, back then i shared as soon as i planted my flag there. I didn't wait and only start the forum now when things are taking off. I started on the same day i actually got the keys. There are many states and still (currently ignored) niches of Johore we can go to.

Kulai, Senai are but one of them. Even Pontian or Desaru would be nice one day. :wink:

Yup, I recall seeing your forum about 2 years back. It has been very educational.

I almost invested in JB about 6-7 years ago when there was a road show at Tampines mall. I was drooling but I was still a poor guy then and didnt dare to sink in with whatever savings I had. I recall a big bungalow was offered at around $300k MYR. With BH (and some others in Singapore), I am already very happy with what I have now because there are already some paper gains.

I suppose you have your investment strategies, but I recommend taking a breather before pumping in more money at riskier areas. Afterall global economy is still very fragile and Iskandar is only at the start of attracting more MNCs. Whether these MNCs survive and attract more talents to work in JB is still an open question.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Yup, I recall seeing your forum about 2 years back. It has been very educational.

I almost invested in JB about 6-7 years ago when there was a road show at Tampines mall. I was drooling but I was still a poor guy then and didnt dare to sink in with whatever savings I had. I recall a big bungalow was offered at around $300k MYR. With BH (and some others in Singapore), I am already very happy with what I have now because there are already some paper gains.

I suppose you have your investment strategies, but I recommend taking a breather before pumping in more money at riskier areas. Afterall global economy is still very fragile and Iskandar is only at the start of attracting more MNCs. Whether these MNCs survive and attract more talents to work in JB is still an open question.

Thanks, started this about 4 years back now, before that JB was a strict no no though in my teens I used to come with my gf a lot to visit. Definitely, those areas are still mainly for own stays, been repeating this to death. Buy for own stay and then only buy for investment if one still has the ability to. Else, buy within ones means and buy the largest one can reasonably afford. Don't buy the smallest as one may then need to upgrade or need more space later on be it relatives, aged parents or kids.

You can always rent out extra rooms/wings/floors but you can't keep squeezing more and more.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
nice one! : )

Thank you, put a left for dead poster as some folks famously told me the JB I will be going to is like that. I smiled and refrained from telling this JB expert I already have a home there. This expert has never been to JB, i only found out later.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh wow bro. So nice!! Is that a white caravan I can see in the pic?

Generally pretty hard to retire here unless you have at least $3 million in CPF and cash. I came here as a skilled worker. An Engineer at 38, did 4 years of postgrad studies in a New York University. Took my own sweet time because I really was looking to work in the US then and if you are a postgrad student you had a right to apply for jobs. Didnt get one. Suffered through 1.2 years as a laborer in an Aluminum factory. Imagine a laborer with a MSc cert in Toronto, Ontario. Finally landed the big job that brought me to interior BC. That's the kind of sacrifice you can expect. Expended $200 K SGD during my postgrad years. A job equal to what a professional is getting in Singapore aren't easy to come by. Here they believe in working your way from the bottom. Plus they are very myopic in terms of qualifications. Certs are treasured in this order: Canadian, American, Other English speaking western certs, Others. Only the first two are easily recognised by the average Human Resource person. Here's a pic of the scenery from my balcony. Here they call a balcony a patio or deck.View attachment 5811

melodysoul

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is quite common for them to ask after tenancy agreement, as much as possible, i try to fulfill such requests including rewiring or adding of water heaters in the back room or kitchen toilet, etc. I even put in solar film, etc towards the end of a lease when the tenants asked for it.

Dear all,

Just to share what happened to our search for a rental house in jiu hu in e end:

We talked to the agent, she talked to her landlord and landlord said not possible.

Actually, our point to ask was on a 2 folds: cos e additional items will also value add to the house
However, we also understand since we did not bargain and happily agree to what was on the table
that is stupid on our ends so we bo bian have to accept and asked her to ask her landlord

if we can renovate e house w e additional items on our own expenses
She said welcome.:smile:

Thats probably end of our story. But at least, the agent, not so bad, she did help us to ask but was rejected as expected...

Went for furniture search today at Hup Lee at Taman Nusa Bestari, think this was recommended in the forum, finally found the place. But think it was not our day again, a young Msian ch lady was in the shop, but we can feel she didnt feel like serving us right
and cannot be bothered with us attitude... i was quite keen in the sofa set and e wardrobe set which cost 3299 and 4299.
Wonder if Singaporeans are being pai chi in JB? or just my luck again....or e items bought too little for them to earn??

So far, we met Msian agents here and they are more enthu to serve us. of course, agents earn comm directly fr us so more enthu this one we can understand.
Hope the stay in 9-hu would be a :smile: one though

Till there

melodysoul

Alfrescian
Loyal
Generally pretty hard to retire here unless you have at least $3 million in CPF and cash. I came here as a skilled worker. An Engineer at 38, did 4 years of postgrad studies in a New York University. Took my own sweet time because I really was looking to work in the US then and if you are a postgrad student you had a right to apply for jobs. Didnt get one. Suffered through 1.2 years as a laborer in an Aluminum factory. Imagine a laborer with a MSc cert in Toronto, Ontario. Finally landed the big job that brought me to interior BC. That's the kind of sacrifice you can expect. Expended $200 K SGD during my postgrad years. A job equal to what a professional is getting in Singapore aren't easy to come by. Here they believe in working your way from the bottom. Plus they are very myopic in terms of qualifications. Certs are treasured in this order: Canadian, American, Other English speaking western certs, Others. Only the first two are easily recognised by the average Human Resource person. Here's a pic of the scenery from my balcony. Here they call a balcony a patio or deck.View attachment 5811

Hi there Jackbcryan,
Saw yr post, moved by it. U been thru it and hope u are enjoying e fruits of the labour:smile:
Nice view. Thanks for sharing.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Agree, the plans for the "Japanese" invasion has been finally revealed the last few months. Slowly but surely, they are coming.[/QUOT

U mean Jap r coming to Malaysia? More than Singaporeans?

U can see many of the Japs even at Aeon BI. Had lunch there and saw a grp of japs. This time round they dont need bicycles but its an 'invasion' nonetheless :smile:..they are raiding properties in jb like hotcakes..

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

U can see many of the Japs even at Aeon BI. Had lunch there and saw a grp of japs. This time round they dont need bicycles but its an 'invasion' nonetheless :smile:..they are raiding properties in jb like hotcakes..

That is interesting. I din really have time to shop at Bt Indah. It has been touch and go affair so far to settle my property stuffs. Having a Japanese Samurai neighbor will be fun and helps to boost security. At worse they Kamikaze with the burglars.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal

That is interesting. I din really have time to shop at Bt Indah. It has been touch and go affair so far to settle my property stuffs. Having a Japanese Samurai neighbor will be fun and helps to boost security. At worse they Kamikaze with the burglars.

Could also be Yakuza, if you see lots of "beautiful" tatts..

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, so many professional brands coming out. I've only heard of Bose, Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha... for my AV room, i was only thinking of Sony, Samsung, etc. Looks like more research is needed to get a decent brand that is long-lasting. My cousin in Australia installed the wiring for a 7.1 system into his plaster ceiling, so it looks tidy, etc.

Sanur

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, so many professional brands coming out. I've only heard of Bose, Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha... for my AV room, i was only thinking of Sony, Samsung, etc. Looks like more research is needed to get a decent brand that is long-lasting. My cousin in Australia installed the wiring for a 7.1 system into his plaster ceiling, so it looks tidy, etc.

Sorry, what's 7.1 system in plaster ceiling?? Is it sort of invisible speaker?

Last edited:

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Customer service is almost non-existent in Msia and the worse thing is that we, Msians have accepted that as normal so we don't complain; we just boycott the business.

So, does that mean you have rented the house? All the best in your move.

Dear all,

Just to share what happened to our search for a rental house in jiu hu in e end:

We talked to the agent, she talked to her landlord and landlord said not possible.

Actually, our point to ask was on a 2 folds: cos e additional items will also value add to the house
However, we also understand since we did not bargain and happily agree to what was on the table
that is stupid on our ends so we bo bian have to accept and asked her to ask her landlord

if we can renovate e house w e additional items on our own expenses
She said welcome.:smile:

Thats probably end of our story. But at least, the agent, not so bad, she did help us to ask but was rejected as expected...

Went for furniture search today at Hup Lee at Taman Nusa Bestari, think this was recommended in the forum, finally found the place. But think it was not our day again, a young Msian ch lady was in the shop, but we can feel she didnt feel like serving us right
and cannot be bothered with us attitude... i was quite keen in the sofa set and e wardrobe set which cost 3299 and 4299.
Wonder if Singaporeans are being pai chi in JB? or just my luck again....or e items bought too little for them to earn??

So far, we met Msian agents here and they are more enthu to serve us. of course, agents earn comm directly fr us so more enthu this one we can understand.
Hope the stay in 9-hu would be a :smile: one though

Till there

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, what's 7.1 system in plaster ceiling?? Is it sort of invisible speaker?
7.1 refers to the number of speakers meaning 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, 2 speakers placed in the middle of the room at the side and 1 front centre speaker while the ".1" refers to the subwoofer. Since the digital audio signal transmits better thru wires than wireless, he did up his wiring thru the plaster ceiling and had the ends located at 6 sides of the room, and originating from the front. Then he had his hard disk player placed into his laundry room which was behind the AV room; there was an opening in the wall. Looks like I should get his feedback and ideas for my own setup.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Generally pretty hard to retire here unless you have at least $3 million in CPF and cash. I came here as a skilled worker. An Engineer at 38, did 4 years of postgrad studies in a New York University. Took my own sweet time because I really was looking to work in the US then and if you are a postgrad student you had a right to apply for jobs. Didnt get one. Suffered through 1.2 years as a laborer in an Aluminum factory. Imagine a laborer with a MSc cert in Toronto, Ontario. Finally landed the big job that brought me to interior BC. That's the kind of sacrifice you can expect. Expended $200 K SGD during my postgrad years. A job equal to what a professional is getting in Singapore aren't easy to come by. Here they believe in working your way from the bottom. Plus they are very myopic in terms of qualifications. Certs are treasured in this order: Canadian, American, Other English speaking western certs, Others. Only the first two are easily recognised by the average Human Resource person. Here's a pic of the scenery from my balcony. Here they call a balcony a patio or deck.
WOW! amazing view, I could get used to this. How often do you come back to Msia?

Status
Not open for further replies.