• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Recession, 154th Quickly Help PAPee Push Responsibility To Charities

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Need a meal? Try these kitchens
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><TR>Some volunteer groups provide daily meals for the needy - and more </TR><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Tan Weizhen
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
ST_IMAGES_WZFOOD11A1.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Ms Heather Chi (foreground) with other members of FoodforAll, (from left) Ms Nur Nadiah Zailani, Ms Alyssa Rae Tan, Mr Edward Tan and Ms Lavanya Kannathass. The group has a campaign to fight eating disorders. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND LIM
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->AS FOOD becomes more expensive, a number of volunteer groups are providing meals for the needy.
Many grassroots organisations deliver meals or foodstuffs to the poor in their neighbourhoods, but there are also groups which cut across all communities.
<TABLE width=200 align=left valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD class=padr8><!-- Vodcast --><!-- Background Story --><STYLE type=text/css> #related .quote {background-color:#E7F7FF; padding:8px;margin:0px 0px 5px 0px;} #related .quote .headline {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:10px;font-weight:bold; border-bottom:3px double #007BFF; color:#036; text-transform:uppercase; padding-bottom:5px;} #related .quote .text {font-size:11px;color:#036;padding:5px 0px;} </STYLE>Former anorexic youth wages war against hunger
WHEN Ms Heather Chi was in junior college, she suffered from such severe anorexia that she believed eating would hurt her.

But hard work and counselling helped her overcome those fears, and now MsChi, 21, is waging a personal campaign against poverty-driven hunger.

Get involved
FAIR ON HEART HEALTH

TO ENCOURAGE people to take responsibility for their own heart health, the educational Heart Fair will be held this weekend.

Dine for a good cause
Food for Thought

Dine and help to:

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Some are religious associations.
One group of Hare Krishnas, a Hindu religious group, provides free vegetarian food from 11am to 10pm daily at their Geylang kitchen, right beside their temple.
No one who needs a meal is rebuffed.
'Everyone turns up - Indians, Chinese, tourists - we feed them all as long as they are hungry,' said Mr Sundar Gopal Das, head of the Sri Krishna Mandir group that runs the kitchen.
Sri Krishna Mandir also cooks for about 5,000 people monthly at a community kitchen in Johor Baru. There is a separate team of Hare Krishna volunteers to help out at the kitchens.
The Singapore Buddhist Lodge in Kim Yam Road also provides free meals every day, serving about 45 vegetarian dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. About 1,500 people flock to the temple on weekdays and 6,000 on weekends.
The Archdiocesan Commission for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant People - a Catholic humanitarian group - feeds migrant workers three times a week at its Highland Road site, just beside the Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
It serves 1,200 to 1,500 meals a month, with the help of the Singapore Buddhist Lodge, which also contributes food.
Other groups take food which would otherwise be thrown out and deliver it to those who need it.
Each month, Food from the Heart distributes 16,000kg of unsold bread from bakeries and hotels to 120 welfare homes and more than 5,500 needy Singaporeans.
Another group is the student-driven FoodforAll, which matches food companies with family service centres and other places that help the poor.
Moving beyond providing meals is Food03, a social enterprise cafe in an indie art museum, which supports struggling artists with profits from its sales.
Its owners also want to help the community. 'We cook for the homeless or poor every Monday. This includes many foreign workers as we happen to be located in the Little India area,' said partner Woon Tien Wei, 33.
It also allows others, such as the visually handicapped, to use its premises for free to try their hand at running a business. A group of visually handicapped, for example, have tried their hand at selling food they cooked themselves.
'This lets the handicapped or other disadvantaged groups try out ideas to help themselves survive, and they don't need to incur any loss in the process,' added Mr Woon.
Most of these organisations depend on volunteers and donations to stave off rising food and operating costs. Some kitchens have also looked to cheaper alternatives - such as lower-cost rice or vegetables - for these meals. [email protected]

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is difficult to understand the logic behind your hate. Perhaps moniker makapaaa prefers a Singapore with no public spiritedness and no charity organizations. For the unfortuante and underprivileged, they do appreciate such organizations. My personal concern is with the abuse by asset and cash rich individuals who go there for a free meal, denying another needy person of immediate needs.

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The government of Singapore does not oppose helping those who are in need. There are formal and informal channels of welfare and help. Formalized ones that are too generous can cause unhealthy dependency and some citizens may lose their desire to work, due to easy handouts. Social welfare that is unrealistically generous, puts government treasuries into debt, making governments less able to rectify economic downturns. This fact is now showing up in the United States as federal governments find that there is insufficient funds for unemployment benefits and this is just the beginning of a recession that may last till even into 2010.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
The government of Singapore does not oppose helping those who are in need. There are formal and informal channels of welfare and help. Formalized ones that are too generous can cause unhealthy dependency and some citizens may lose their desire to work, due to easy handouts. Social welfare that is unrealistically generous, puts government treasuries into debt, making governments less able to rectify economic downturns. This fact is now showing up in the United States as federal governments find that there is insufficient funds for unemployment benefits and this is just the beginning of a recession that may last till even into 2010.

what about the individual's CPF? can't an individual take money out to use in times of need? :confused::confused::confused:

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal

Is one of the formal ways like going to the MP on your knees to get NTUC coupons?

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
all the nonsense edited out

My feeling is that the government should play a major part, with private organisations and public foundations playing as a second partner. This means that the government has a responsibility to do the same and to do more.

In short, they cannot and should not, for moral reasons, try and outsource their main job to charities. Charities aren't superhuman organisations. They can't take care of everything unless they have some measure of government support.

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
When things really need to be done, they will be done, but not too early before. Some of our Singaporeans need motivation to work and giving monetary subsidies goes against cultivating this motivation. It is acknowledged that there are those innocent ones that caught in between.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
When things really need to be done, they will be done, but not too early before. Some of our Singaporeans need motivation to work and giving monetary subsidies goes against cultivating this motivation. It is acknowledged that there are those innocent ones that caught in between.

like the late Mr Tan who gave up his life in Chinese Garden MRT a few years back? and perhaps the one who tried the same stunt in Yishun MRT this afternoon?

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Suicide is most unfortunate but one should not give too much sympathy for those who give up on life themselves, in my personal opinion. The forum administrator here has very clear views on suicide which I personally share. There is no free lunch and most Singaporeans have more chances than other nationals from other countries.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Suicide is most unfortunate but one should not give too much sympathy for those who give up on life themselves, in my personal opinion. The forum administrator here has very clear views on suicide which I personally share. There is no free lunch and most Singaporeans have more chances than other nationals from other countries.

Hippo-Yawn.jpg

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

and i believe the money inside the CPF belonged to the individual.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal

So much more that we can deprive ourselves and give it to the nationals from other countries? Yes, Minister!

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Again, I am unsure what you are trying to tell me, moniker Makapaaa. Are you trying to ask me to identify the possible caries formed in the back teeth of the top jaw of the hippotamus? This is not my field of specialty and the pixel resolution may also create potential for errors in judgement. I withhold my evaluation.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Again, I am unsure what you are trying to tell me, moniker Makapaaa. Are you trying to ask me to identify the possible caries formed in the back teeth of the top jaw of the hippotamus? This is not my field of specialty and the pixel resolution may also create potential for errors in judgement. I withhold my evaluation.

fart-power.jpg

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
An advertisement depicting biogas for motorbikes with a safety flaring device mounted, in support of the clean development mechanism of the Kyoto Protocol which is now suffering serious obstacles of evaluation and enforcement in the second phase of implementation?
This is just my personal opinion but does little in promoting constructive discussion in this forum.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
An advertisement depicting biogas for motorbikes with a safety flaring device mounted, in support of the clean development mechanism of the Kyoto Protocol which is now suffering serious obstacles of evaluation and enforcement in the second phase of implementation?
This is just my personal opinion but does little in promoting constructive discussion in this forum.

It's my sincere wish that you keep hanging around. You do have a sporting personality and a sense of humour. :biggrin::smile::p