• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

51-year-old jobless grad wakes up breaking out in cold sweat everyday...

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]51-year-old jobless grad who used to earned $4000 per month now contemplates to become security guard[/h]
PostDateIcon.png
June 4th, 2012 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions

I am a 51-year-old unemployed male Singaporean holding a degree in Bachelor of Arts in English Language & Literature.

I made a serious error of judgment in life and quit my job impulsively in Dec last year without thinking through the consequences and I am now paying a hefty price for the folly. The experience was painful and since that fateful day, the thought of getting a job and putting bread and butter on the table again has been weighing heavily on my mind.

On some nights, I would suddenly woke up breaking out in cold sweat and worrying about my future.

I am a practical and realistic person. I knew that given my current age and circumstances, I can never expect to find another job which will pay me my last drawn salary of $4K again. Recently, I thought of venturing into the social service sector since I am already in the last lap of my working life. However, society was cruel and the doors were all shut on me.

My greatest disappointment was not being able to get a teaching job with Pathlight School last week. I had applied for an Assistant teacher position with them and after going through a comprehensive interview and selection test, my hopes were completely dashed. On the day of receiving the rejection e-mail, my heart really sank to the bottomless pit.

=> Job went to some al cheapo Foreigner?

I knew the husband of my spouse’s church mate who works in the security line after he stopped helping his family in the baking business. This is despite the fact that he has a diploma qualification and is much younger than me.

I wonder whether if I should do the same and put my tertiary qualification aside. If I decide on this move, I have to conceal my actual qualification, otherwise employers will never want to take me in. Morally and ethically I know I would be dishonest.

So, I am really in a dilemma.

Regds,
Patrick
* The letter was adapted from transitioning.org, a non-profit society specially set up to cater to the emotional needs of the unemployed Singaporeans.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what was his last job? how come only a paltry $4K?
he is 51 that means he was born in 1961.
those from this era, as long as made it thru Uni life would have been good.
this was the era when a GCSE (O evels equivalent) can apply to be teacher or join army as officer liao.
In any case also can chow chow get a comfy civil servant job.
how come this grad end up with a last drawn pay of only $4K?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unfortunately, Patrick choose to leave his job without finding a new job despite knowing he have to put bread and butter on the table. How can he be practical and realistic when he choose to ignore the very real possibilities of not getting a job?

Hope Patrick have enough savings to tide him over the difficult time. Also good time for him to considering voting out the pappies for the FT policies if he hasn't being doing that. And also encourage his families and friends to do the same.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe can consider give private tuition.
His age will deter most employer to hire him.
Anyone above 35 mostly will rejected.
Those over 50 confirm will be reject. Since there a more 30~40age available Q up for the job.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
this was the era when a GCSE (O evels equivalent) can apply to be teacher or join army as officer liao.
i think those days, 5 O-LeveLs achievers were a big deaL; esp with passes incLuding M,S,E.
it was proud to teLL your neighbours about your son compLeting his NO.9 ( in hokien) .. :wink:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
" I knew the husband of my spouse’s church mate who works in the security line after he stopped helping his family in the baking business " .

his spouse never pray for him ? :wink: her prayer dont work ? :wink:

" I knew the husband of my spouse’s church mate who works in the security line after he stopped helping his family in the baking business. This is despite the fact that he has a diploma qualification and is much younger than me ".

his spouse church mate prayer also dont work meh ? :wink:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i think those days, 5 O-LeveLs achievers were a big deaL; esp with passes incLuding M,S,E.
it was proud to teLL your neighbours about your son compLeting his NO.9 ( in hokien) .. :wink:

Now many people take part time short course. Can pass the paper easily.
That why so many learning institution grow like mushroom. All have paper but cannot perform..

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes. No.11 aka HSC higher school certificate (A levels) was big fuck already. Sure get office job.
Graduate from uni is glory for whole family.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes. No.11 aka HSC higher school certificate (A levels) was big fuck already. Sure get office job.
Graduate from uni is glory for whole family.
Hehehe. Me a No. 9 but not very proud leh. BTW, any bros know the meaning of no. 9. Is it the number of years. Thought O lebel should be No. 10 (Pri 6 + sec 4) and A lebel should be No. 12 ((Pri 6 + sec 4 + jc 2).

jacobsgoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
god could be a Muslim FT, he does not go to church. moreover god himself is also in between jobs; how to expect god to help.

Last edited:

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
After reading this story , it is more than imperative to be self employed and set up business. Being employed is so risky.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LKY only had some degree from the UK, but he's enjoyed a lifetime of perks & owns Spore. Must be some kind of billionaire:confused: Sometimes it's luck & not the degree you have:wink:

jacobsgoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY only had some degree from the UK, but he's enjoyed a lifetime of perks & owns Spore. Must be some kind of billionaire:confused: Sometimes it's luck & not the degree you have:wink:

this guy sure is lucky, everytime he has a court case in leeapore he wins.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyoh, drive taxi the easiest option, with government proetction some more.

Wake up in cold sweat for fuck

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans who write such letters to MSM or alternative media should first confess which party they voted for in the last General Election.

We will take it from there.

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal

And his younger brother with only a Senior Cambridge School Cert (O level) cud becum a DSP of Police and after being exposed
for corruption he was conveniently asked to quit the force and be appointed the CEO of Jacob Ballas Stock Brokers & Co.

It's not the qualification and luck, but the connection.

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

fully agreed. Bro Drifter is one good example .