• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Y need to show ID to enjoy Senior Citizen rates for movie tickets?

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do we need to show ID to enjoy Senior Citizen rates for movie tickets? Can't they take our word for it?

I remember reading about this in the Straits Times early 2009 about people complaining about how Cinemas in Singapore insisted on people showing their ID to enjoy Senior Citizen rates and that other countries do not require the show of IDs.

When I visited a GV Cinema in early 2009 with my mum, I wasn't asked to show an ID to purchase a Senior Citizen movie ticket. But recently, I was asked to show the ID (at the same GV Cinema) and was told that this has always been the case.

But I wasn't asked to show an ID (to enjoy Senior Citizen rates) when I recently visited the Singapore Museum with my mum.

So is this a Singapore problem or a GV problem? :mad:

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkie problem.....
coz
we know how to take advantage if system is welfare.

See those sinkie workers "borrow" office stationery....
can know liao.

:o :biggrin: :o

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... When I visited a GV Cinema in early 2009 with my mum, I wasn't asked to show an ID to purchase a Senior Citizen movie ticket. But recently, I was asked to show the ID (at the same GV Cinema) and was told that this has always been the case. ...
u muz b looking younger n younger! ... take dat as a compliment, man! ... :p

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
I fail to comprehend the issue. What's so difficult in showing an ID? Won't you lose money if people take advantage of your business if everyone abuse concession meant for a small group of people? These checks must be in place.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do we want a 15 year old to be able to buy cigarettes or drink beer in pubs just because he looks and/or claims to be adult? Take his word for it? Same principle.

AhBengBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hate it when the supermarket cashier asks to see my uncle's senior citizen card when cashing his things.

My uncle always told them to forget about the discount. You think old people are all so hard up of that tiny discount?

But usually the cashiers will just go ahead and give the discount. But some cashiers have no clue about using discretion.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I hate it when the supermarket cashier asks to see my uncle's senior citizen card when cashing his things.

My uncle always told them to forget about the discount. You think old people are all so hard up of that tiny discount?

But usually the cashiers will just go ahead and give the discount. But some cashiers have no clue about using discretion.

I'm kind of lost. Issued with a senior citizen card, forgot to bring, and pissed off at the cashier. Now becomes cashier's fault someone forgot. Tiny discount? If it's so tiny that one couldn't be bothered, then don't bother. There must be something bothering enough to get pissed to to exent that the word hate is used.

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm kind of lost. Issued with a senior citizen card, forgot to bring, and pissed off at the cashier. Now becomes cashier's fault someone forgot. Tiny discount? If it's so tiny that one couldn't be bothered, then don't bother. There must be something bothering enough to get pissed to to exent that the word hate is used.

You know Ramseth, this really makes sense.

There are simply too many incidents where people try to shift the blame to others when the fact is that they are the ones at fault.

Take for instance the thing about delayed/long waiting time for buses - everyone complains about the bus company. Never did anyone stop to think that the passengers themselves sometimes are at fault also.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
lately, people always offer me seat on MRT, even young girls, damn rude never ask to see my IC first

BTW talk about senior citizen what happen to snrcitizen our old forummer, kind of miss him

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know Ramseth, this really makes sense.

There are simply too many incidents where people try to shift the blame to others when the fact is that they are the ones at fault.

Take for instance the thing about delayed/long waiting time for buses - everyone complains about the bus company. Never did anyone stop to think that the passengers themselves sometimes are at fault also.

Huh? huh? and huh? You need to elaborate or else that last part read real strange.

AhBengBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
lately, people always offer me seat on MRT, even young girls, damn rude never ask to see my IC first

BTW talk about senior citizen what happen to snrcitizen our old forummer, kind of miss him

I love this post.

I am sure my ageing uncle will love it too when I read it to him. :smile:

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huh? huh? and huh? You need to elaborate or else that last part read real strange.

1. Passengers who flag the bus from far away. When the bus stops, they sashay slowly up to the bus like it's god-given for them to take their own time to board the bus. The whole bus is waiting of course for this one single fella. (I'm not talking about an elderly or disabled; I'm sure most of you have seen the young and fit doing this.)

2. Pressing the bell for the next stop, and only when the bus comes to a complete stop and the doors open up, THEN they think that they are allowed to stand up and start making their way to the exit. (I'm not talking about a crowded bus packed full like sardines, nor elderly who cannot balance themselves properly on the moving bus.)

3. Hiding their ez-link cards in their bags packed full of their stuff, and only fumbling at the exit for their cards when they disembark. Why don't people learn to put it in some other more accessible location (pocket in their pants, side pocket of their bags). And also, people usually board the bus for a few stops only or around 30-40mins on average, and they still can forget where they misplaced their ezlink cards?

Any many many more cases. These are passenger faults that cause unnecessary bus delays.

The fact that you are so amazed already proves my point - people do not think that passengers themselves also contribute to the bus delays and long waiting times.

But that is an argument for another thread, not this one.

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
he meant those passengers should not come down too early to wait for the bus

Actually, I simply meant that when something goes wrong, people start to shift the blame to others immediately. They never stop to think that they themselves are the ones at fault.

E.g.,

I'm kind of lost. Issued with a senior citizen card, forgot to bring, and pissed off at the cashier. Now becomes cashier's fault someone forgot.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hiding their ez-link cards in their bags packed full of their stuff, and only fumbling at the exit for their cards when they disembark. Why don't people learn to put it in some other more accessible location (pocket in their pants, side pocket of their bags). And also, people usually board the bus for a few stops only or around 30-40mins on average, and they still can forget where they misplaced their ezlink cards?

That's a peculiarly curious trait of many women. Go up the bus, like, oh you mean must pay ah? Then start rummaging through their their bag. Supermarket queues also same. Queue till reach the cashier with a trolley, after cashier scan whole trolleyful of items one by one and comes up with an amount, oh must pay ah? Then start rummaging through their bag.

What to do? Women are from Venus. Apparently things are free there.

DrPanacea

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do we want a 15 year old to be able to buy cigarettes or drink beer in pubs just because he looks and/or claims to be adult? Take his word for it? Same principle.

Bad argument. It is easier to recognize a Senior Citizen than some one between 15 - 21yo.
The point is that in Singapore there is a lack of trust between the people and the gahmen and the people.
Try getting some financial aid from the gahmen and you will be made to run from pillar to post and to jump thru hoops like a circus animal before geting anything.
If people can just take others word for it this would be a nicer place. I know Australia can do this.