• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New battle lines drawn! Election boundary thread.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
DPM Teo: No Gerrymandering! PAP More Affected! Opposition Lazy Like Fark!

23083368.JPG

SINGAPORE: Responding to the opposition parties’ accusations of gerrymandering in the latest electoral boundaries review, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean on Saturday (July 25) pointed to the fact that the demarcations of opposition wards Aljunied, Hougang and Punggol East were largely intact, and noted that the incumbent Members of Parliament (MPs) were most affected when boundaries shift.

In that regard, he and his fellow Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC MPs have had to regularly adjust to changing boundaries over the years. “The ones who were disrupted most are the incumbents MPs. And actually from that point of view, I would say the opposition wards have not been touched at all. That’s a great advantage to the (opposition) incumbents. Whereas for … my GRC, every election I’ve had to cope with new boundaries and that’s because my GRC has been growing at the fastest pace in Singapore,” said Mr Teo, who was speaking to reporters at the opening of three new childcare centres in Punggol West.

The electoral boundaries review committee released its report on Friday. Among other changes, Joo Chiat - which the People’s Action Party almost lost to the Workers’ Party in the 2011 General Election - and Moulmein-Kallang GRC were scrapped. Moulmein-Kallang GRC was seen as a shaky ground for the PAP, and some opposition figures have alleged that scrapping it was politically motivated.

Mr Teo added: “I suppose if you wanted to have more four-man GRCs, Aljunied could have become a four-man GRC but the (committee) didn’t touch it, whereas many other five-man GRCs were (downsized) to four-man GRCs. If you want to talk about fairness and these kinds of things, I think the playing field is level, if you do your work on the ground consistently.”

Since the 2011 General Election, the number of voters in Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC - based on the previous boundaries - has grown to about 206,000. With the changes, about 20,000 voters who were part of the GRC are now under Ang Mo Kio GRC, Mr Teo noted.

Citing the three new preschool centres that were opened today for example, he added that he and his fellow MPs, including Dr Janil Puthucheary who looks after the Punggol West division, have been working very closely with new residents to ensure they settle in and have enough facilities.

Dr Puthucheary, who was also at the opening, said a lot of work has been put into helping new residents settle in and forging friendships through interests groups and clubs. “What we’re seeing over the last four years is those friendships and networks are forming and there’s a sense of neighbourhood and a sense of place,” he said.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/boundary-changes-affect/2007396.html?cid=fbsg

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: DPM Teo: No Gerrymandering! PAP More Affected! Opposition Lazy Like Fark!

what else would they say?
totally redundant

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Massive Earthquake

BREAK NECK NEWS: Geologists investigating 74.8 magnitude earthquake that hit Singapore earlier this afternoon

a day ago
Impact of the plate tectonic movement was so strong that places like Joo Chiat shifted to Marine Parade and Whampoa to Jalan Besar.

903_original_Screen_Shot_2015-07-24_at_6.38.47_pm.png

International geologists are flying from all around the world to assist in investigation after a massive earthquake, measuring 74.8 on the Richter Scale struck Singapore earlier this afternoon at about 3pm local time.

Unconfirmed reports have said that the impact of the plate tectonic movement was so strong that it shifted the town of Joo Chiat to Marine Parade and Whampoa to Jalan Besar, among many other major territorials shift that occurred this afternoon.

904_original_IMG_2854_handbook.jpg
Source

Renowned Dutch geologist who has been researching on seismic activity around the region, Dr Gerry Man Dering said, "I'm curious by how there seems to be a pattern of earthquake hitting Singapore exactly once every four years, the last of which was in 2011 when Singapore held their last General Election, not that it has any link."

When interviewed, a Whampoa resident, Mr Reddy Zhun Beh Hao exclaimed proudly, "I am very well-prepared as I saw this earthquake coming since the last one that happened four years ago already."

In contrast, a traumatised resident who was there when the earthquake struck, Mr Tan Siao Gui said, "It all happened very quickly. The earthquake struck before I knew it. One moment I was staying in Joo Chiat, next moment WAM BAM BAM BOOMZ, I am at Marine Parade already. I am very scared."

At press time, Singaporeans from across the island are still recovering from the shock and exploring the new territories that they now belong to.

http://sgag.sg/posts/break-neck-new...ake-that-hit-singapore-earlier-this-afternoon

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This Big Nose Clown should keep saying such things.
It makes him really stupid.
Or totally dishonest.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

smell rats when super big nose talk.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

sleepy teo will be the next ministar to lose his seat to WP.

stuffycunt

Alfrescian
Loyal

23083368.JPG

why you all using combative tone? my nose also getting bigger and bigger, so what do you think?

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: PAP: Big Earthquake has hit S'pore. Joo Chiat shifted to Marine Parade

Like the story.

The earthquake is rumored to be triggered by a huge lightning strike that struck the core of the earth's mantle.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Redrawing election boundaries is illegal and constitutionally incorrect

Protest will be coming soon... The focus will be on the changing of election boundaries which is unconstitutional..

Spot on jiu hu kia. Walk the talk and lead the protest. Show us you have balls to do it.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Sinkies, do u know that you can protest against the illegal redrawing of election boundaries and stop it.

Redrawing of election boundaries election after election to the benefit and advantage of the incumbent party is amount to cheating and dishonesty.. Or you can say rigged the game to their advantage..

Sinkie, you can protest against the redrawing of election boundaries.. The redrawing of election boundaries is unfair to all voters.

Then what are you waiting? Do it.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The pappies are the modern day Pharisees of our times. They follow the jot and tittle of the law: the letter of the law, but neglect the spirit of the law.

The consequence is a bunch of legalism but nothing ethical. :wink:

FlyOnTheWall

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Roy's detailed analysis on why the boundaries are re-drawn the way they are

My friend wait till you hear from our Great Political Observer (or whatever fuck he called himself) Cpt Goh Meng Seng

Any opposition figures or even pigs, dogs, monkeys are better than the white scums.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Protest will be coming soon... The focus will be on the changing of election boundaries which is unconstitutional..

They can change and do whatever they want with the boundaries

Vote them out!! 50 years is just F(*&8&$King LONG!!!

We had Enough of your nonsense and your money sense!!

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Which country in the world can housed the Elections department under the gahbrament's own office?
If they think it's right to do so without even asking the local peasant's consent, everything to them is correct.

those in African dictatorships, Myanmar and North Korea

Nuance

Alfrescian
Loyal

Politics is a dirty game of power.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pinnochio Teo's comments are so dumb that even his maid would not believe him.
Wasn't his LKY who famously said that it was not his job to help the opposition?
A look at today's Shitty Times will tell him all he needs to know about gerrymandering.

He can talk big - DPM Teo and PM Lee are the only ones who are heading 6-person GRCs.
Our top two guys dare not even lead from the front, on their own by going SMC way - as a means of shutting everyone's mouth.
Talking about headless chickens who are chickens with their heads on.

=====================
SINGAPORE — The National Solidarity Party (NSP) today (July 25) said it was disappointed with the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee’s (ERBC) report released yesterday, arguing for clearer guidelines to any change in electoral boundaries.

In a media statement, Acting Secretary-General Hazel Poa said that the ERBC report gave no explanation to why it was necessary for Moulmein-Kallang GRC, helmed by Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew, to be divided up, nor for the dissolution of Joo Chiat SMC and Whampoa SMC, as well as the range of electors per MP used by the ERBC to determine the boundaries.

She also took issue with EBRC taking instructions from Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, saying that it is a “clear conflict of interest, no different from the conflicts of interest found in the management of AHPETC and the Auditor-General’s report on the various Ministries and Statutory Boards”.

“It is not difficult to set clear, fair and defensible guidelines on the issues mentioned above, and have boundaries that could only be changed if those guidelines are breached,” Ms Poa argued.

The five-member ERBC submitted its report to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Tuesday, eight days after he announced in Parliament that it had been formed two months ago. Political analysts have labelled the report to be more evolutionary than radical.

The committee was chaired by Mr Tan Kee Yong, Secretary to the Prime Minister. Its members are Housing and Development Board chief executive Cheong Koon Hean, Singapore Land Authority CEO Tan Boon Khai, Elections Department head Lee Seng Lup, and Ms Wong Wee Kim, who is the Chief Statistician at the Department of Statistics.

PM Lee had asked the committee to reduce the average size of the GRCS to fewer than five members. It was also to consider the population shifts and housing developments since the last boundary delineation exercise, and maintain the minimum number of Single Member Constituencies (SMCs) at 12.