• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gastronomical disaster .... which is worst ...?? ...

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
mee goreng?

some boiled goreng with catchap on it !!! prepared by FT!!!!!!!! in a well known food court...

met a chef today..told me our dishes are now disastrous....destroyed!!!!

jw5

Loyal
Char Kuay Teow without cockels or Mee Rebus without green chilli slices ....:confused:
For me, it has to be mee rebus without cut green chilli. Almost impossible to eat..............

Char kway teow without cockles can be quite nice for a change, too much hum is also not good for you. :smile:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dishes like Mee Rebus, Lor Mee, Satay Bee Hoon, Beef Noodle Dry and the likes all become gastronomic disasters when the cook don't drip the noodle dry enough before dressing it with gravy. However well made the gravy is, the whole dish is diluted and spoiled by the residual water in the noodle.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Char Kuay Teow without cockels or Mee Rebus without green chilli slices ....:confused:

The greatest gastronomic disaster is that shit they cook at Thye Hong in the Food Republic, masquerading as Hokkien Fried Mee. Hokkien fried mee is supposed to be cooked in a very hot wok in small batches. Those clowns at Thye Hong cook it in a very large cauldron, the noodles are swimming in sauce, it looks like a noodle stew or noodle soup. Its supposed to be a little wet, but that is ridiculous. They try to make it authentic by packing it with beached banana stem. Worse is that there is always a long line of idiots paying to eat that pigswill.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
mee goreng?

some boiled goreng with catchap on it !!! prepared by FT!!!!!!!! in a well known food court...

met a chef today..told me our dishes are now disastrous....destroyed!!!!

I used to blame FTs, but than I realise it was not their fault. The fault lines with stupid sinkies who continue to patronise those stalls that serve shit masquerading as authentic singapore food. If people dun patronise them, they will either go out of business or be forced to cook better food.

HokkienMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
The greatest gastronomic disaster is that shit they cook at Thye Hong in the Food Republic, masquerading as Hokkien Fried Mee...

Anyone mentioned mee ??? :biggrin::biggrin:
I know Singapore hokkien mee a.k.a Chinese Spaghetti, white in colour. :biggrin::biggrin:
Taste like duno what crap... :biggrin::biggrin:

This is genuine Hokkien Mee.

hokkien+mee7.bmp

Shiok shiok... Hard to find a good one in Sinki... :o

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone mentioned mee ??? :biggrin::biggrin:
I know Singapore hokkien mee a.k.a Chinese Spaghetti, white in colour. :biggrin::biggrin:
Taste like duno what crap... :biggrin::biggrin:

This is genuine Hokkien Mee.
hokkien+mee7.bmp

Shiok shiok... Hard to find a good one in Sinki... :o

Yes, that's the real stuff. Commonly available in KL, Ipoh and Penang, but not in Singapore or even Johor. Thick black soggy but tasty stuff.

To be fair, the Singapore version (white bee hoon and yellow mee mix) was also generally good until the 2000s. The last palatable ones remaining that I can recommend is Beach Road (thin bee hoon dry style), Toa Payoh Lor. 5 and Bedok Interchange (thick bee hoon soggy style). All standards have fallen since the 80s and 90s days but still acceptably palatable.

The last best of the thick soggy style I've tasted was at a Serangoon coffeeshop near Balestier junction. The old man sat on a stool to fry. There were no successor. The Beach Road thin dry style is into 3rd generation.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i went to the "best" bakchoe mee stall in crawford...

the standard drops like shit.....all the ingredients are pre-cooked and put in a pot!!!!!!

the meepok was cooked first and then the ingredients pre-cooked and then scattered over the " dry meepok " -soaking wet! the original boss is not there..i think the brother takes over...short cut...employs one china boy to help out..

standard drops like shit.,...$5!!! some more...

even the best has started to drop..

laksa without laksa leaves is disaster!!!!!!!!!!!

meeribus gravy turns into water!!!!!

lor mee turns into soup!!!!!!!!lagi worse.....and it's happening..

roast chicken is just boiled chicken soaked with hot oil!!!!!!!!!!!!

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
nasi briyani with just plain coloured rice with no spices is hell of a dish....with plenty of catchap on the side...and slices of tebun....

what happens to our dan briyani - nobody seems to do that anymore...to much work it seems.....our rich cultural heritage going down down down memory longkang...

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
There's one coffeeshop in Geylang Lorong 31 selling KL style Hokkien Mee. Tried once, but not to my liking, still prefer Tze Char stall black Hokkien Mee.

The stall at Serangoon Balastier junction is one of my old time favorite, now then you tell me there's no successor, been checking around for ages where it move too. :mad:

Anyway, I thought the Geylang Lorong 29 is pretty close to his standard, or at least it's my favorite for many years since.

My vote for Gastronomical disaster has to be Chicken Laksa. :o

Yes, that's the real stuff. Commonly available in KL, Ipoh and Penang, but not in Singapore or even Johor. Thick black soggy but tasty stuff.

To be fair, the Singapore version (white bee hoon and yellow mee mix) was also generally good until the 2000s. The last palatable ones remaining that I can recommend is Beach Road (thin bee hoon dry style), Toa Payoh Lor. 5 and Bedok Interchange (thick bee hoon soggy style). All standards have fallen since the 80s and 90s days but still acceptably palatable.

The last best of the thick soggy style I've tasted was at a Serangoon coffeeshop near Balestier junction. The old man sat on a stool to fry. There were no successor. The Beach Road thin dry style is into 3rd generation.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
just watch the Perfect Meal programme and you see why our food dishes have fallen so badly...

the perfect meal fit for royalty!!!!yaks!!!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nasi briyani with just plain coloured rice with no spices is hell of a dish....with plenty of catchap on the side...and slices of tebun....

what happens to our dan briyani - nobody seems to do that anymore...to much work it seems.....our rich cultural heritage going down down down memory longkang...

Nasi bryani is cooked with very low quality Indian rice that bounces grain by grain at slightest touch. If like Japanese or Chinese, you try to eat that with chopsticks, you could scoop up only a few grains per attempt, however good your chopsticks or chopstick skills are. That was alright in the past when the flavorings were as good as the colourings. Nowadays it's just gold colour no taste as the jingle for instant noodle goes.

Even Indian and Malay hawkers dare not use that kind of rice for nasi puteh (plain white rice). The deficiency in quality would show up even worse. It's very unhealthy and causes much of the obesity related to them.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mee rebus without green chilli slices is worse.

I noticed that the current Malay generation are lousy cooks, I used to admire their food, especially Mee Rebus, with the thick gravy, plus all the condiments, the sliced green chillies & Kilcap..aka the dark sauce..yummy!..nowdays you get watery, tasteless stuff... yuck!:p

Wa de ( the Indian flour thingy) you have to eat it with green chillies, I usually take two, and when the wa de is hot..it is really sumptous..nowdays the wa de comes frozen, they just heat it, no longer hand made...and no chillies, yucks!:p

Even Indian food is going down the drain...:eek:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
chendol with the artificial green stuff!!!...where got such a thing????

chendol with no gula melaka!!!!!no red beans!!!! this is horrible..feel like throwing the chendol back to the stall!!!...in a food court!!!....worst still in a restaurant!!!