• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gastronomical disaster .... which is worst ...?? ...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dark soy sauced duck rice is absolute disaster. It should be plain white rice dressed in braised gravy. The dark version began with rice cooked with tapioca, light brown and flagrant. With rounds of cost cutting, it's now mostly just rice cooked with dark soy sauce for colour. The taste effect is of course disastrously saltish. However, I notice this dark soy sauced rice seems to be getting popular with duck rice stalls, many even selling it exclusively, no more plain white rice. I don't eat at these duck rice stalls.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Do you mean chye buay or kiam chye? The latter is much more salty than the former, they are different.
Teochew muay is also great with sambal haebi, small fried sotong, fish cakes, and the sour chilli sauce.
Yum! :smile:

Sorry, Chye Buay I meant. Unfortunately, the quality of the chye buay is going down hill. SOme are almost tasteless. U got any lobang or not for good teochew muay? Oh yes, it must be eaten with the stew taupok in the soya sauce, and porridge. :biggrin:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Dark soy sauced duck rice is absolute disaster. It should be plain white rice dressed in braised gravy. The dark version began with rice cooked with tapioca, light brown and flagrant. With rounds of cost cutting, it's now mostly just rice cooked with dark soy sauce for colour. The taste effect is of course disastrously saltish. However, I notice this dark soy sauced rice seems to be getting popular with duck rice stalls, many even selling it exclusively, no more plain white rice. I don't eat at these duck rice stalls.

Speaking of duck, the HK style BBQ Duck without the sweet plum sauce is also a disaster.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
agree with ramseth..

dark soy sauced duck rice is simply a disaster!!! and the rice is cheap rice too....and the duck meat now is also badly done!

why everything down and down....good and cheap food is our bread and butter...and it's going down and down...and when they display all the goument certificates and all the photos with celebrities, i expect reasonably good standard...but OMG!!!!

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Thar mee without the fried pork lard.
Chee Kway without the chilli
Chilli Crab without the french bread

jw5

Loyal
It's supposed to be yam rice with braised duck (light gravy) or white rice with roasted duck with thick gravy.
But somehow perhaps due to cost cutting, loss of recipes or just plain laziness, some of them have managed to churn out horribly tasting soy sauced rice with soy sauced duck.

Nowadays have to be very careful where and what to eat, not only for taste reasons but also for health and hygiene reasons.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's supposed to be yam rice with braised duck (light gravy) or white rice with roasted duck with thick gravy.
But somehow perhaps due to cost cutting, loss of recipes or just plain laziness, some of them have managed to churn out horribly tasting soy sauced rice with soy sauced duck.

This is orh tao (yiu) png 黑豆(油)饭。Famous Changi Prison recipe in the 70s and 80s.

jw5

Loyal
Sorry, Chye Buay I meant. Unfortunately, the quality of the chye buay is going down hill. SOme are almost tasteless. U got any lobang or not for good teochew muay? Oh yes, it must be eaten with the stew taupok in the soya sauce, and porridge. :biggrin:
Chye buay should not be too oily or salty, otherwise very unhealthy. But of course not totally bland either.

My info may not be the latest, but there is a good teochew muay stall in Joo Chiat, and another stall in Bukit Timah opposite Beauty World, I think.
There are also some good outlets in Geylang, but be careful of patronizing chinaman run stalls. Upper Serangoon also got a couple of good stalls.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
juiher engchye without the chilli sauce and sesame seeds... some even change the kangkong to ordinary fatty chye sim!!!!!!!!!!!!

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i think many of the famous foodstalls are bought over by PRCs and they have changed the menu and " chinaised " the local dishes.....damned terok one!!!!

many of the older singaporean folks have retired...took the money and you can find them donating to the two IRs!!!! I saw one uncle peperring the roulette table with skyscrapers.I recognised him as the rolex king hokkien mee uncle....with mercedes!

i think his chain of stalls are now run by PRCs....some have closed down....the hokkein mee is just horrible!!!!!!!!

HokkienMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chee cheong fun without the sweet sauce. Hahaha.

I cannot find this type of Chee Cheong Fun in Sinki !!!
mix with Tau Kee is a must and all those Yong Tau Foo stuffs...
Shiok Shiok ... :biggrin::biggrin:

6a00e54f08c4bd88340115718ecbf9970b-500pi

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
CKT w/o hum.

Reason: This is one hell of an unhealthy dish that is suppose to be unhealty with a So What? The bursting cockle's internals just melds with the lard so well, for that moment, cholesterol counts for naught. That's what CKT is all about.

A good mee rebus doesn't need anything else. Maybe soy sauce per individual.

BTW, in Singapore, how come hot dog does not have relish? Fucking Sentosa hotdog stand does not have relish and fucking western place like IKEA does not have relish for hotdog!!!!! WTF????

Stupid cunts or what?

Char Kuay Teow without cockels or Mee Rebus without green chilli slices ....:confused: