• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gastronomical disaster .... which is worst ...?? ...

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have been away from SG too long.
The queue at the char kway teow stall at the halal foodcourts like Banquet, is usually the longest.
There's cockles, but of course no pork lard and cooked with vegetarian oil.

I had been away from Sg a long time and in my mind, the old standard (I prefer "norm") lingers.

Banquet should be banned; tastewise, it just doesn't cut it. To be fair, I must add that the "new" generation doesn 't know; I used to frequent the Botanic Gardens' and have that sumptious Roti John. Back then, there was no mayonaise. Fuck me! I was in for a rude shock when I discovered mayo is so in now.

Cheers!

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thai foods served without fork and spoon, that's disastrous

saw one place at centre point serve Thai foods with chop sticks:eek:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thai foods served without fork and spoon, that's disastrous

saw one place at centre point serve Thai foods with chop sticks:eek:

Usual practice in Thailand is, plate dishes served with western fork and spoon, bowl dishes served with Chinese chopsticks and spoon. I don't see anything disastrous about that. It's about the same practice as in Singapore and Malaysia.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah that is shitty ...

thats how PRC hawkers cook 'fried hokkien mee' - stew the whole lot of noodles in a big wok & dish out small portions as each customer places order ...

the char kway teow @ gluttons bay (next to esplanade) sucks - stingy with the egg & vegetable ...

also, fried carrot cake (black) for me must have lots of mushy egg bits ... i will pay more to add additional egg ... :p

The greatest gastronomic disaster is that shit they cook at Thye Hong in the Food Republic, masquerading as Hokkien Fried Mee. Hokkien fried mee is supposed to be cooked in a very hot wok in small batches. Those clowns at Thye Hong cook it in a very large cauldron, the noodles are swimming in sauce, it looks like a noodle stew or noodle soup. Its supposed to be a little wet, but that is ridiculous. They try to make it authentic by packing it with beached banana stem. Worse is that there is always a long line of idiots paying to eat that pigswill.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
all these are real examples of hawker food standards 'gone down the drain' --

1) overgrilled satay - instead of juicy & succulent aka indonesian style, the meat was hard and chewy like bak kwa -- upper bt timah food centre :confused:

2) meepok/meekia dry - stingy with chili & vinegar - found throughout singapore ... :mad:

3) chicken rice served with tau gay ?!

4) this one from an angry colleague of mine (allson hotel food ctr zhichar stall) - horfun with fishcakes (no other meat) ...

5) or luak with too much tapioca starch & not enuff egg ...

6) or luak with too much egg & not enuff tapioca starch aka omelette ...

7) dry char siew noodles without ketchup ... and noodles not springy enuff ...

8) goreng pisang banana not sweet enuff bcos not ripe enuff & the batter not crispy enuff ...

9) curry chicken with not enuff potato ... :cool:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Forget about Malay/Singapore/Indon satay. All craps when you've tasted Thai and China satay. No peanut sauce required.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Char Kuay Teow without cockels or Mee Rebus without green chilli slices ....:confused:

I take both
Char Kuay Teow without cockels and no chilli
Mee Rebus without green chilli slices
and also nasi lemak without sambal,
no choice, weak stomach.
All the above are unhealthy food.
Char kway teow too oily(pork oil) and sweet
Mee Rebus for its starch and sweet
Nasi Lemak for its coconut oil
Eat it moderately.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
yeah that is shitty ...

thats how PRC hawkers cook 'fried hokkien mee' - stew the whole lot of noodles in a big wok & dish out small portions as each customer places order ...

the char kway teow @ gluttons bay (next to esplanade) sucks - stingy with the egg & vegetable ...

also, fried carrot cake (black) for me must have lots of mushy egg bits ... i will pay more to add additional egg ... :p

I am not aware those cooks at Thye Hong are PRC. That would make sense to me. Usually, I see young office workers or salespeople lining up to by from them. These morons are the ones creating all the problem. If they don't patronise the Thye Hong Hokkien me, I can tell u Thye Hong will think twice since their rent is so high at the Food Republic. They will buck up their quality or close that outlet.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I take both
Char Kuay Teow without cockels and no chilli
Mee Rebus without green chilli slices
and also nasi lemak without sambal,
no choice, weak stomach.
All the above are unhealthy food.
Char kway teow too oily(pork oil) and sweet
Mee Rebus for its starch and sweet
Nasi Lemak for its coconut oil
Eat it moderately.

Nasi Lemak without the ikan bilis or fried fish is unpalatable.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

1) overgrilled satay - instead of juicy & succulent aka indonesian style, the meat was hard and chewy like bak kwa -- upper bt timah food centre :confused:

2) meepok/meekia dry - stingy with chili & vinegar - found throughout singapore ... :mad:

4) this one from an angry colleague of mine (allson hotel food ctr zhichar stall) - horfun with fishcakes (no other meat) ...

8) goreng pisang banana not sweet enuff bcos not ripe enuff & the batter not crispy enuff ...

Wah, Chicken rice with Towkay. Fuck that shit. They should drag the fucking cook out and flog him in the street.!!:mad:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Chye buay should not be too oily or salty, otherwise very unhealthy. But of course not totally bland either.

My info may not be the latest, but there is a good teochew muay stall in Joo Chiat, and another stall in Bukit Timah opposite Beauty World, I think.
There are also some good outlets in Geylang, but be careful of patronizing chinaman run stalls. Upper Serangoon also got a couple of good stalls.

Ok, I will check it out. There is one in Toa Payoh that I go to, its quite good. U have eat outside, and they are in a coffee shop. Forgot the name. Oh yes, I forgot, must have the steamed peanuts too with teochew muay. My problem is I cannot tell PRC store from non PRC store. Most of them when they serve u, they don't open their mouths.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
juiher engchye without the chilli sauce and sesame seeds... some even change the kangkong to ordinary fatty chye sim!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want good juiher engchye, I recommend the old man in Koufu food court in Toa Payoh. His is good, and chilli sauce is great. He puts a lot of hoisin sauce which I like. Everything cook infront of u using the proper cooking tools. His satay beehoon is also pretty good. This dish cannot be eaten with anything other than kangkong. Who ever uses chye sim hsould be dragged out to the street and flogged in public.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
i think many of the famous foodstalls are bought over by PRCs and they have changed the menu and " chinaised " the local dishes.....damned terok one!!!!

many of the older singaporean folks have retired...took the money and you can find them donating to the two IRs!!!! I saw one uncle peperring the roulette table with skyscrapers.I recognised him as the rolex king hokkien mee uncle....with mercedes!

i think his chain of stalls are now run by PRCs....some have closed down....the hokkein mee is just horrible!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately this is the truth. When these original cooks retire, even their children have a hard time maintaining the original standrad, much less some fucking PRC. People just need to stop patronising these stalls. Nobody cares if a PRC run stall close down because of poor business, and the PRC asshole loses money.

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chicken rice with taugay?? Must be Malaysian cooks. Go to Ipoh and KL, lots of places serve chicken rice with taugay and they called it ngar choy kai(beansprouts chicken)

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal

To be fair, char siew noodles without ketchup is just another style of cooking. Agree on the un-springy noodles though.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I had been away from Sg a long time and in my mind, the old standard (I prefer "norm") lingers.

Banquet should be banned; tastewise, it just doesn't cut it. To be fair, I must add that the "new" generation doesn 't know; I used to frequent the Botanic Gardens' and have that sumptious Roti John. Back then, there was no mayonaise. Fuck me! I was in for a rude shock when I discovered mayo is so in now.

Cheers!

ahhhh the Roti John back at Botanic Gardens, that was some good stuff :cool:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
yeah that is shitty ...

Thankfully, i have great stalls to recommend for fried carrot cake and hokkien mee and they are both found in the hawker centre at AMK central (the one opposite Jubilee). The hokkien mee is excellent (not too dry, great stock, slightly burnt noodles and not too oily) while the carrot cake is just right with the amount of eggs, crispy cake and chye poh.

Char Kuay Teow is always the most troublesome of the 3, the dark sauce must be adequate, the noodles and horfun well cooked and with lap cheong, tau geh, great chilli and seahum (im not a fan of seahum though) :biggrin:

There are 2 stalls at old airport road that serves pretty decent char kuay teow (la fu zi - so so only) and the other one which i heard is better but have not tried yet