• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SMRT CEO - Merchant Saw is a crony in disguise

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least Steve Jobs know how to put a computer together. He "grew up" in the industry. Apple hired that guy who sold sugar water and what happened to Apple?

You can't bullshit Steve Jobs about computers and computer technology. But that salesgirl from DFS, you could lead her by the nose because she doesn't know enough about the rail business.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
did you all see how fast our transport minister point finger at SMRT? apparently, LTA should also have audit check on smrt at least annually, what have they done so far? :rolleyes:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're confusing "skills and knowledge" with "leadership".

CEOs don't need to deal with the nitty gritty. They hire people to do that. CEOs need to inspire, motivate, forecast, visualise, take risks and lead from the front.

When I was working in the electronics industry, the best CEO I ever had was a History Graduate and the worst had a Masters in Electronics Engineering.

O.k lets put this in perspective once and for ALL in regard to Merchant Saw.

She has NO engineering qualifications coupled with her corrupted leadership skill and knowledge and with such a combination this makes it for sure, something will 'blow up BIG TIME' in a matter of time.

In simple truth, Merchant Saw has very bad personal qualities to run a company that need to serve public interest. They could have made the same mistake by put similiar type of ppl like Saw, to run POSB.

Happy?

And I thought someone or a bunch of them has always been harping on meritocrasy in advancing their country's vital interest.

How could they when they know that it all begun with father passing to son. :biggrin:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
At least Steve Jobs know how to put a computer together. He "grew up" in the industry. Apple hired that guy who sold sugar water and what happened to Apple?.

The sugar water guy wasn't half as bad as Gil Amelio who DID have the right pedigree.

It doesn't make any difference what sort of background you come from as long as you're made of the right stuff.

gil-amelio.jpg

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Saw hiring own “kakis” after she became SMRT CEO

icon.aspx
3in1 News (Reply-Only Folder) - Saw hiring own “kakis”...

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
To: ALL <NOBR></NOBR>(1 of 11)

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
[h=2]Saw hiring own “kakis” after she became SMRT CEO[/h]
PostDateIcon.png
December 20th, 2011

letter.png

I would like to bring attention to TRE on the personnel movement of SMRT after CEO Saw Phaik Hwa was brought in. This will shed light on the operational problems faced by SMRT today.
Since these are operational problems, let us start with the Chief Operating Officer.
Yeo Meng Hin is the Chief Operating Officer from 2007 to 2011. From SMRT Annual Report 2010, he was paid SGD970,272 second only to Saw Phaik Hwa who exceeded the million-dollar band. Are we paying for relevant experience?
Before becoming COO, his training ground was in the HR department. Is this considered relevant experience? His education was a Bachelor of Arts (Economics). Is this considered relevant education? How did this person with irrelevant experience become the Chief Operating Officer of SMRT? This one tells it all. He was from DFS, same company as Saw Phaik Hwa. How dare she uses SMRT as a platform to play political games? Now, Singaporeans are paying for this.
Now, from the grapevine (needs more confirmation):
http://forum.channelnewsasia.com/showthread.php?26748-Saw-Paik-Hwa-was-retrenched-by-DFS-before-she-joined-SMRT!/page5

Yeo Meng Hin replaced an IT director with 20 years of experience with his friend from Maybank who was just a Malaysian IT team lead at the bank. This led to massive chaos as the malaysian IT guy wanted to cut cost for everything to the point of cutting half of all the lighting in the IT department. He even insisted anyone who use the toilet must switchoff the light after use leading to embarrassing incident of people stuck in darkness in the loo!
Is Yeo Meng Hin a Malaysian PR? Is this a case of FT-hiring-FT discriminations which Singaporeans have been complaining about? All started with some Singaporean director sitting on the board hiring a Malaysian FT as CEO. Then, CEO hires her own people (also FT) to replace experienced Singaporeans to widen her political base.
James Tan
* This comment was posted on TRE’s thread: Breaking: MRT Trains disrupted again

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vision !

Nowhere did I liken her to Steve Jobs. As far as I can see, she's not even middle management calibre.

The issue was regarding the qualities of a good CEO and Steve was an excellent example of how the best CEO in the world operates.

CEOs must have Vision. If they don't, then they and their companies will become followers. Leaders are the ones that skim the cream like Apple. Because, no one cares about paying an exorbitant price for pieces of junk.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Re: Vision !

CEOs must have Vision. If they don't, then they and their companies will become followers. Leaders are the ones that skim the cream like Apple. Because, no one cares about paying an exorbitant price for pieces of junk.

LKY has to be up there with the best then. No other CEO in the world has managed to orchestrate a supply of cream that has lasted more than half a century!!!!

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Saw hiring own “kakis” after she became SMRT CEO

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/meng-hin-yeo/4/835/53

YEO Meng Hin
Executive Vice President
SMRT Corporation Ltd.

YeoMengHin.jpg

Deputy President & COO
SMRT

Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; Transportation/Trucking/Railroad industry
2003 – 2011 (8 years)

Group Vice President, Asia
DFS

Privately Held; 1001-5000 employees; Retail industry
August 1999 – July 2003 (4 years)

Director, Business Development
Buck Consultants

Public Company; 1001-5000 employees; XRX; Human Resources industry
October 1998 – July 1999 (10 months)

Head, Human Resource Division
Maybank

Public Company; 10,001+ employees; Banking industry
1994 – 1999 (5 years)

Consultant
Singapore National Employers Federation

Nonprofit; 51-200 employees; Human Resources industry
August 1994 – July 1999 (5 years)

Attachments

• 1d1ca33.jpg
    1d1ca33.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
AssMRT collecting rental from those silly naive retailers who think those Xchange stations are good for business. If you go to say Tanjong Pagar Xchange, you will realize that business is rather dull there. On weekends, practically zero.

Datz Y she got fired from DFS

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
O.k lets put this in perspective once and for ALL in regard to Merchant Saw.

She has NO engineering qualifications coupled with her corrupted leadership skill and knowledge and with such a combination this makes it for sure, something will 'blow up BIG TIME' in a matter of time.

In simple truth, Merchant Saw has very bad personal qualities to run a company that need to serve public interest. They could have made the same mistake by put similiar type of ppl like Saw, to run POSB.

Happy?

And I thought someone or a bunch of them has always been harping on meritocrasy in advancing their country's vital interest.

How could they when they know that it all begun with father passing to son. :biggrin:

She advanced her own self-interest as this shows that appeared in another forum:

"Since these are operational problems, let us start with the Chief Operating Officer.

Yeo Meng Hin is the Chief Operating Officer from 2007 to 2011. From SMRT Annual Report 2010, he was paid SGD970,272 second only to Saw Phaik Hwa who exceeded the million-dollar band. Are we paying for relevant experience?

Before becoming COO, his training ground was in the HR department. Is this considered relevant experience? His education was a Bachelor of Arts (Economics). Is this considered relevant education? How did this person with irrelevant experience become the Chief Operating Officer of SMRT? This one tells it all. He was from DFS, same company as Saw Phaik Hwa. How dare she uses SMRT as a platform to play political games? Now, Singaporeans are paying for this

Yeo Meng Hin replaced an IT director with 20 years of experience with his friend from Maybank who was just a Malaysian IT team lead at the bank.

Is Yeo Meng Hin a Malaysian PR? Is this a case of FT-hiring-FT discriminations which Singaporeans have been complaining about? All started with some Singaporean director sitting on the board hiring a Malaysian FT as CEO. Then, CEO hires her own people (also FT) to replace experienced Singaporeans to widen her political base.

another key figure at SMRT (current EVP) who was also from DFS (GM at DFS Changi Airport).

Why is a bunch of DFS staff doing at a Transportation company? Selling duty free good at MRT train? No wonder the trains are failing."
:eek:

Disclaimer: above taken from various online sources.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
How did this person with irrelevant experience become the Chief Operating Officer of SMRT? This one tells it all. He was from DFS, same company as Saw Phaik Hwa.

What about the PM? He was from the Lee family, the same family as the previous PM. If it's OK to hire someone from the same family because they have an exceptional pedigree, then I see nothing wrong with hiring personnel because they were from DFS, an exceptional company.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What about the PM? He was from the Lee family, the same family as the previous PM. If it's OK to hire someone from the same family because they have an exceptional pedigree, then I see nothing wrong with hiring personnel because they were from DFS, an exceptional company.

I see both examples as wrong. No meritocracy being practiced and probably both will sink in time.

Last edited:

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal

LKY has to be up there with the best then. No other CEO in the world has managed to orchestrate a supply of cream that has lasted more than half a century!!!!

i can't resist replying to this one. :wink::wink::wink::wink:

this is hilarious , yet serious. :biggrin::biggrin: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

but most fools won't even realised that they have been greased. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal

You mean low-grade industrial grease that is becoming rancid?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
think about it why are we made to take PSLE and core subjects being English, Chinese, maths and Science. these are fundamentals! These are brick and mortar that will be useful for us later in life. yes, i agree that some morons who become obsessed with their own field screw up in their head and inter-personal skills, these have something more to do with their character and up-bringing.

btw, i have seen how pple in smrt work, similar to any stat board organisation. the staff there are not inspired at all and their salary is not even high. the pple there are just treating it as a routine 8 to 5 job.

boss, don't avoid my statement:

"unless you have taken a liking for her...then, i can agree cos' you are the boss...hee...hee...get what i mean?"

, i think you have a thing for her or olivia lum(coincidentally, both are malaysian women)...hee...hee...come on, don't be shy, tell us about it!:p:biggrin:

These are skills that allow you to read, write and speak.. That is primary school.

beyond that education just trained you to be employee.

To be a business leader or company leader, you got to do other stuffs other than studying. Like dealing with people and organising and creating events for others

Last edited:

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem all started when the Sr staffs were retrenched, resigned, retired and asked to leave. When she took over how many senior staff with years of experience and trained by experts from Japan, England and Hong Kong that did not agreed with her was removed and replaced with young people with paper qualifications and have not the slightest idea of how to run a train system. There these young management staff tried to impress her by backstabbing each other, come out with hairbrain ideas or quick fix solutions that did not sound in the long run. Well guess what after 10 years of this type of shit from a well oiled and smooth running system she ran it to the ground. Mark my words as long as she is in the helm surrounded by her clueless dogs there will be no improvment.
That was the time I took a serious look at my retirement plan. Then came her waves of cost cutting measures, buying of cheap spares that looks good on paper but can't even last till the next round of preventive maintainance, reduce the manpower to all sections working at skeleton crew level. The last straw came when some of my junior staffs was not satisfied with the way they were graded and the amount they got compare to what their bosses got. They brough it up to the union and HR and they got the same reply " The door is always open". That was when I knew the shit has hit the ceiling and I took my earily retirment and joined my fellow former co-workers.
Thanks for the insider information. I was suspecting something like this happening in smrt. When a non-tech and NOT SMART person heads an operation like mrt - she probably thinks that she should be free from blame for any wrong tech decision as she has trusted her staff. She must have been surviving well by pushing all the blames to her tech people for the many minor hiccups so far. She finally met her waterloo - she is ultimately responsible when the issue is this big.

I used to hear remarks that so and so is very sharp. I guess the word "sharp" is used to describe the ability to pick out bullshits and camouflages in recommendations from subordinates for areas that the boss is not trained in.

clinton666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Saw hiring own “kakis” after she became SMRT CEO

SMRT continues to deliver a great product as evident by the very long queues of customers on Sunday. If SMRT's customers have lost confidence in its product, would there be such super long queues, you retards need to use your half-a-brain! Under CEO Saw's leadership, SMRT's net profit grew from $56.8 million in 2002 to $161.1 million in 2011.