• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Barclays SG VicePresident: SG NS is a joke. Want real army? Pay for professional

scbccb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unless they use an entire army of mercenaries, the army that will be mobilised is a citizen's army. What do you think? :eek:

To me, NS is NOT negotiable. There're many reasons for this - nation building, toughening guys up, etc. And it has many flaws and some will have to pay a heavy price.

But it is one of Singapore's few guarantees that the PAPzis do not 'send in the army' when elections do not go their way.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Originally Posted by Leongsam View Post
FTs are not guests of Singapore. They are acting as auditors and consultants brought in by the government to help Singaporeans improve their skills. They therefore have every right to criticise Singaporeans. That's what they are imported for.

If they remained nice and politie and diplomatic, how on earth are Sinkies going to upgrade themselves to the point where they become just as talented as the foreigners.

Then sinkapore is definitely screwed up. 3 million sinkees being audited by 2.3 million foreigners. And in 2030, 3 millions sinkees will be audited by 3.9 million foreigners. This must be the mother of inefficiencies!

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are thinking of the Gurkhas, it's not that simple. I stand corrected on this but although the Gurkhas serve in the SPF, they are not directly hired by the SPF. Instead, they are hired by British Army and seconded to the SPF. It's not coincidental that the commander of the GC has almost always been a British officer.

So, if the Gurkhas are ever called on to suppress civilians, their commander would probably want to clear with London first.

Unless they use an entire army of mercenaries, the army that will be mobilised is a citizen's army. What do you think? :eek:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are thinking of the Gurkhas, it's not that simple. I stand corrected on this but although the Gurkhas serve in the SPF, they are not directly hired by the SPF. Instead, they are hired by British Army and seconded to the SPF. It's not coincidental that the commander of the GC has almost always been a British officer.

So, if the Gurkhas are ever called on to suppress civilians, their commander would probably want to clear with London first.

The PAP can't trust sinkees to do the recruitment and lead the PAP Gurkha protective force. It must be miserable to be living in fear all the time. Even LKY continues to have security detail. He is just an MP but taxpayers still need to pay for his security detail.

Guess, the state will be forking out millions for his state funeral. Maybe they would build him a mausoleum and put his body for permanent display.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Have you ever heard of Christopher Lingle. He was an academic working for NUS & got into hot soup because he made the mistaking of criticising the PAP.

There is nothing wrong with the PAP so it was obvious his criticism was unfounded. He deserved to pay the price.

The problem is not the PAP. The problem is with the electorate who do not understand what it takes to run a country and grow the economy.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You speak so highly of the PAP that I am surprised that you are not importing the PAP way to NZ.

I have been doing my best to do just that. In fact, I have managed to convince many of my Kiwi friends that the welfare system is not the right way to manage a society and that the Singapore system of minimum help for the down and out actually benefits the poor far more in the long term.

It's early days but the tide is turning. My hope is that in 50 years time, social welfare is but a distant memory throughout the world.

Mankind has to go back to the basic principle of "survival of the fittest" or it is doomed.