• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting discussion on strata and individual titles. I never know so much about strata before.

Perhaps you guys may want to note that any extension is subjected to local by laws enforced by the municipal council irregardless.

Some of the known facts are:

The dividing fencing wall must not exceed 5 feet high and it must contain at least 1/3 open space which means you cannot have a full brick wall but half wall, half grille type. It is for ventilation purposes.

Corner lots must be at least 10 ft away from boundary. It essentially mean that you can have extension but must be 10 ft away. Reason is the clearences for fire trucks, cranes to move around corners.

Toilets must have windows.

Of course, all building extension plans must be submitted and approved as a new Certificate of Fitness would be issued by the local council after the extension had been completed.

With these guide lines , I wound say 90% of extension in your neigbourhood are illegal .

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
With these guide lines , I wound say 90% of extension in your neigbourhood are illegal .

Nope, my neighbourhood is great. We are a fully guarded and gated 800 house community with electric power fencing and 8ft high perimeter walls. At any one time, we have at least 30 guards round the clock. We know if we take care of our property, our quality of life can only be better.
By the way, it is a freehold, individually title but it is non strata. All parks, futsal and lakes maintained by local council.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Strata title or individual doesn't really matter so long as everyone understands that the development design was meant to be in a certain way. Else no amount of enforcement can change it.

Malaysian tend to be very creative either for FengShui or their own perceived aesthetic taste

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG strata titled condo or malaysia strata titled condo the exterior painting is expensed from the sinking fund, that is true. Am not sure how it works for strata landed in singapore, maybe someone can share their experience.

You're right, all common areas are maintained by the Management but for big expenses, it must be either approved by council or voted on at AGM/EGM. The problem with this is I found people to be self serving and would only support what benefitted them. E.g any attempts to upgrade maintain pool would not be supported by those who don't use it, just like in condos here.As for painting there is a ruling on an obligation to paint in a certain number of years by the authorities that also applies to all condos here, but in MY I dont know if this is so as I see many dilapidated developments.
Even in MY , in G&G estates once developer hands over, we will face some chalnenges of strata owners, e/g some owners may default on Maiantenance fees and the rest of us will have to subsidize them, it happens here also and MA may have a hard time getting the money if they leave unit vacant. But at least we're responsible for own unit and there are less issues that need to be agreed on.
yup, yup. the thing is in singapore, BCA enforces rules like every 5-7 years, you must repaint your condo. otherwise thre will be penalties. in MY, i think the BCA there heck care, so the condo all become rojak or dilapidated. who your niehgbours are in MY is of utmost importance, if a lot of rich and dato' staying, likely the place will be prperly maintained. so picking the right dev/t in MY is very, very tricky.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
yup, yup. the thing is in singapore, BCA enforces rules like every 5-7 years, you must repaint your condo. otherwise thre will be penalties. in MY, i think the BCA there heck care, so the condo all become rojak or dilapidated. who your niehgbours are in MY is of utmost importance, if a lot of rich and dato' staying, likely the place will be prperly maintained. so picking the right dev/t in MY is very, very tricky.

now u can take yr neighours to clean the iron bars titter.gif
http://www.theedgemalaysia.com/prop...ment-act-2013-to-affect-all-stakeholders.html

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

wow. Good and bad. If members of elected JMB may face more stringent regulation, might we have less people stepping up to volunteer to be in the committee?
but the best thing about the new act is that the onus will be on developers to get us our strata title ASAP. Delay in issuance of strata titles have been a perennial problem in malaysia for decades.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is 30 min or less. i timed it for a couple of times already in the past few months.

Yes, 30 mins is about right, from the start of the bridge to JB customs side. But if you calculate the time you clear the SG customs to get to the bridge, it may take an additional 15-20 mins more during weekends.

That's why lately, I like to take the lorry lanes if possible, as it shaves off the 15-20 mins to get from SG customs counter to the bridge.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, 30 mins is about right, from the start of the bridge to JB customs side. But if you calculate the time you clear the SG customs to get to the bridge, it may take an additional 15-20 mins more during weekends.

That's why lately, I like to take the lorry lanes if possible, as it shaves off the 15-20 mins to get from SG customs counter to the bridge.

don't take the lorry lane bro, . i saw a few mata johor side summon on the spot as cars zoom up to the top of the bridge. (or is that the bus lane. *confused)
** this was like last week end or something

Last edited:

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
like that how? London got better neighbours or not?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
don't take the lorry lane bro, . i saw a few mata johor side summon on the spot as cars zoom up to the top of the bridge. (or is that the bus lane. *confused)

I also saw the summons before. Usually the cars are J-plate cars that jump queue.

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG strata titled condo or malaysia strata titled condo the exterior painting is expensed from the sinking fund, that is true. Am not sure how it works for strata landed in singapore, maybe someone can share their experience.

You're right, all common areas are maintained by the Management but for big expenses, it must be either approved by council or voted on at AGM/EGM. The problem with this is I found people to be self serving and would only support what benefitted them. E.g any attempts to upgrade maintain pool would not be supported by those who don't use it, just like in condos here.As for painting there is a ruling on an obligation to paint in a certain number of years by the authorities that also applies to all condos here, but in MY I dont know if this is so as I see many dilapidated developments.
Even in MY , in G&G estates once developer hands over, we will face some chalnenges of strata owners, e/g some owners may default on Maiantenance fees and the rest of us will have to subsidize them, it happens here also and MA may have a hard time getting the money if they leave unit vacant. But at least we're responsible for own unit and there are less issues that need to be agreed on.

Default on maint fee is also common in Singapore but I guess much fewer than Malaysia. Spoke to a few SPR and it seems it is an accepted practice that if you do not stay in the condo for awhile it justifies not to pay the maint fee. I wonder if they skip paying the land/property tax as well.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
It seems that biodiesel is hot again. Palm oil can be used for biodiesel, so either the plantation goes back to production or the land gets sold to developers at higher price. My guess.

China biodiesel imports surge on incentives
But some have far lower component of biofuel than what is required: refiner
PUBLISHED OCTOBER 21, 2013

[BEIJING] China's biodiesel imports are surging, displacing local diesel sales as some trading companies take advantage of tax and trade incentives the government provides to boost usage of the blended fuel in the world's second-largest oil consumer.

As imported biodiesel takes up more of the local market, it could cut into the market share of state-owned refiners, in turn boosting their diesel exports, industry sources said.

Top state refiners Sinopec Corp and PetroChina are already expected to boost shipments of the fuel after Beijing approved large export quotas for the fourth quarter.

At least one state-owned refiner has complained to local authorities that some of the biodiesel shipped in contains a far lower biofuel component than what is required by Chinese customs law, a source close to the matter said.

"It's the big thing in China now, but it's all done hush-hush," said a trader directly involved with such shipments and who declined to be named.

Imports of diesel are subject to stringent conditions: only companies approved by the government and granted import licences can bring in the fuel. But regulations governing biodiesel imports are less robust and private companies are allowed to ship in the fuel, a second trader involved with the trade said.
Biodiesel shipments from member countries of the Association of South-east Asian Nations (Asean) to China are also exempt from import taxes according to a free trade agreement inked between the two, said sources involved in the trade.

Biodiesel containing less than 30 per cent of biofuel is classified as "petroleum", while biodiesel containing 30 per cent or more of biofuel is categorised as "miscellaneous chemical products", according to a 2012 edition of China's customs rules.

Some of the trading companies involved are declaring biodiesel with as little as a 2 to 5 per cent palm oil blend at the higher level to escape the controls and tariff, industry sources said.

By classifying the product as 30 per cent biodiesel, companies are able to circumvent paying a consumption tax of about 940 yuan (S$190) per tonne normally levied on diesel, they said.

From January to June this year, total imports of this reduced biofuel blend were at about 500,000 tonnes, and since then average monthly imports have at least doubled to 200,000 to 300,000 tonnes, the sources added.

About 120,000 to 180,000 tonnes a month are being shipped mainly from Malaysia and Indonesia, while the rest is being shipped from Thailand, the sources said.

China doesn't provide detailed biodiesel import data.

Diesel makes up about 30 per cent of Asia's oil consumption. In China, it is used in farming, industry, shipping and transport, but increased refining capacity and an economic slowdown turned the country into a net diesel exporter in 2012, driving down processing margins across the region.

Small refiners and independent fuel dealers in late 2010 imported "power kerosene", a blend not subject to consumption taxes and that could be easily turned into diesel. The practice eventually led to the detention and fining of two traders.

The biodiesel with the reduced palm oil mix is typically blended in storage terminals in South-east Asia and sold to middlemen who sell onwards to companies in China. It is then transported in small to medium-sized vessels, trading and shipping sources said.

The product is then sold as regular diesel to consumers in China including factories, with importers making savings on the tax incentives, the second trader involved in the trade said.

"The cargoes actually go through a lot of hands, so there are many companies involved . . . from the usual traders who sell the barrels to the smaller companies who buy them," said a Singapore-based biodiesel trader not involved in the trade.

Some of these trading companies do not usually deal in diesel or oil.

"We don't actually keep track of what they do with the cargoes in China, we ship it because it's getting popular," said a third source involved in the trade.
The supplies aren't usually sold to retail diesel consumers for fear of harming vehicle engines. The imports could drop off during the winter, according to another source with a Chinese refiner, because some specifications of the blended product renders the product unsuitable for use in cold weather.

"Just like 'power kerosene', biodiesel is a product of a certain period. It will never become a mainstream product and will withdraw from the market eventually," said a senior Beijing-based oil product trader. - Reuters

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/premium/china/china-biodiesel-imports-surge-incentives-20131021

Last edited:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
the summon that day i saw is at the top of the bridge.. going into mly CIQ side (from singaproe). but be civic minded la is best.. imagine if q jump actually delay those ppl who wait in the q properly...

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

haha sorry, I mean the lorry customs counters, not the single lorry/bus lane. What happens is that during the peak hours, all the lorries will be diverted from the original lorry customs clearance counters to the old Woodlands checkpt, and the SG customs officers will direct the cars to these original lorry customs counters instead. This usually happens when 1 original customs counter lane for cars is closed for the bikes.

If you are diverted to these lorry custom counters during peak periods, you can shave off 15-20 mins off the waiting time. The reduction comes from saving the time spent from clearing the SG customs counter to get to the start of the causeway. I v kiasi 1, don't dare to take the bus/lorry lanes 1 bcos I know MY police is v on, esp during weekends. haha

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
On another note, I went to check out 'Inspired' by Tanah Sutera. 2 storey cluster semi-d (40 x 80, built-up of 3,600 sq ft) selling for RM 1.7m! It's individual titled, but you will not be allowed to change the facade, as a separate deed of mutual covenant will be signed. JB prices are getting quite scary instead.

http://www.tanahsutera.com/inspired-property-18-7.aspx

tanah sutra house v high class one so not surprised. 1.7m phew. yesterday checked out sri austin, olivine semi-d (quite big) 1.1M nia.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
the summon that day i saw is at the top of the bridge.. going into mly CIQ side (from singaproe). but be civic minded la is best.. imagine if q jump actually delay those ppl who wait in the q properly...

Yup . I agree. Please be more considerate. Don't be a smart ass and try to cut queue.
Those fellas are just delaying all those in the queue.

Everyone just wants to get out of the jam quickly.