• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal
that day i saw was singapore plated cars

Maybe you saw my car as I thought the mata flagged me. When the mata asked for diving licence, I say huh as I did not cut queue. He checked with colleagues and the other mata says sallah lah, can go. I saw they got 2 J plate cars to make "donation".

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like more fuel subsidy cuts and GST implementation ahead.

KL minister confident Malaysia won't be hit by twin deficit
He says the govt will cut the fiscal deficit and maintain current account surplus
Published October 21, 2013

[JOHOR BARU] The government will continue its efforts to reduce the country's fiscal deficit and ensure its current account surplus is strong, says Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Abdul Wahid Omar.

These moves, he said, would ensure that the country will not experience what is called a twin deficit, referring to a fiscal deficit and a deficit in the current account, according to Malaysian daily Business Times, that quoted a report by news agency Bernama yesterday.

According to him, the country's trade surplus currently is still strong although there was a reduction in exports and increase in imports, while the fiscal deficit was projected at 4 per cent this year and 3 per cent by 2015.

"With the efforts taken and to be taken by the government, I don't feel we will experience twin deficit (fiscal and current account)," he said to reporters after attending a conference on The Future of Urban Living in Nusajaya last Saturday.

The conference was organised by Singapore Eisenhower Fellowship Society and Eisenhower Fellows Association Malaysia.

He said this when commenting on the concern voiced by an international credit rating agency on the twin deficit threat to Malaysia's economy.

According to Mr Abdul Wahid, the rise in the country's imports was due to various factors including imports of lumpy items such as acquisition of new aircraft by Malaysia Airlines (MAS).

The reduction in the current account surplus was also due to the increase in the intensity of investments by local companies and funds in companies as well as properties overseas, he said.

"But, Insyallah, based on our projection, with the efforts that we are taking, we feel we will be able to maintain the current account surplus in a sustainable way," he said.

On subsidy rationalisation, he said the government needed to do something to reduce the subsidy which amounted to RM37- 38 billion (S$14.5-14.9 billion) of revenue last year.

Fuel subsidies alone, he said, cost RM24 billion last year or 12 per cent of the country's overall revenue.

"It is too big an amount, so we must reduce the spending on subsidies," he said, adding the subsidy reduction would be made at an acceptable level.

Mr Abdul Wahid was also asked about the possibility of the government introducing the goods and services tax (GST) during the 2014 Budget presentation this Friday and said the decision was in the hands of Prime Minister Najib Razak who is also Finance Minister.

However, he said a lot of studies by the government and the private sector including economic analysts showed that GST was the best way to boost the government's revenue.

"Economic experts and analysts opine that GST is overdue," he said, adding the government would also ensure that the low-income group are not badly affected by the introduction of GST.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/pre...nt-malaysia-wont-be-hit-twin-deficit-20131021

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe you saw my car as I thought the mata flagged me. When the mata asked for diving licence, I say huh as I did not cut queue. He checked with colleagues and the other mata says sallah lah, can go. I saw they got 2 J plate cars to make "donation".

I saw they positioned themselves on the left side just up slope after crossing from Singapore customs, so you can't see them but they can see you from afar.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
cut q? bo hua one la, waste time n waste $ when kena mata. how fast can u cheong..:biggrin:

But must admit very tempting to also cut out and jump que when you see car after car "soop" pass. But I resist temptation and guai guai stay in lane.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
But must admit very tempting to also cut out and jump que when you see car after car "soop" pass. But I resist temptation and guai guai stay in lane.

those were the days.. LoL titter.gif

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have to give kudos to the Malaysian police for once.

Those drivers who cut queue deserves to be caught.

erm , if official RM300 fine , i think lesser ppl will cut queue.
kopi money RM50 still afforadable for many queue cutters.
if not for kopi money , will e police do so ?

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kopi money in broad daylight? I hope not

Thats just too blatant already.

day or night also the same , even in msia immigration area with so many cameras , the police asked me wan to settle ? i didnt cut queue , i beat the red light just 1 second tat time.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

no the day i saw is 2 or 3 sing plate kanna. they summon on the spot. i could see the pissed off driver holding the summon paper. no kopi money seen. after the cop left, the driver imeediately cut back into the wrong lane and cuttt q all the way to the front of the bus lane.

Last edited:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia TP is nice people,any thing can settle and helpful if in Singapore , the just said pls explain to judge , and deduct point ! Malaysia boleh !! Ha ha ! I like Malaysia

don just anyhow blur blur give kopi money. wait for the conversation to lead the way. if they not lookgin for it and you give.. i say good luck to you. msia also got anti-corruption drive, you know.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
no the day i saw is 2 or 3 sing plate kanna. they summon on the spot. i could see the pissed off driver holding the summon paper. no kopi money seen. after the cop left, the driver imeediately cut back into the wrong lane and cuttt q all the way to the front of the bus lane.

Serves the driver right :biggrin:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
don just anyhow blur blur give kopi money. wait for the conversation to lead the way. if they not lookgin for it and you give.. i say good luck to you. msia also got anti-corruption drive, you know.

My friend's v sound advice is to ask "Can I pay the fine on the spot?", if you are in a hurry and cant wait for them to lead the conversation. haha.......

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

of coz la.. like kena car park summon liao, can park yr car so long as u like.. :p

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree, we always curse those cutting queues .... very tempted to take photos of these cars and maybe upload here :-)

Also, gog to JB, singer queue to spore customs going up bridge, pls do not cut queue. if u miss the rigth lane queue, just join the queue on the left, below the bridge.

Yup . I agree. Please be more considerate. Don't be a smart ass and try to cut queue.
Those fellas are just delaying all those in the queue.

Everyone just wants to get out of the jam quickly.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
GST and fuel subsidy cut are likely this Friday. If announced, it is very likely more buyers will rush in before these measures kick up prices by another 5-10% easily. RPGT is also probably. Good to buy now if you have some intention to buy for own use.

Malaysia's Najib seen levying consumption tax to curb budget deficit
PUBLISHED OCTOBER 22, 2013

[KUALA LUMPUR] Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak will trim the government's hefty subsidy bill and likely announce a new consumption tax later this week as he delivers a budget seen as crucial to ward off a possible credit downgrade and reassure investors over the Southeast Asian country's fast-growing debt burden.

After securing his power base in ruling party elections over the weekend, Mr Najib should have a freer hand to tackle a high fiscal deficit with unpopular steps to wean Malaysians off cheap fuel and food.

But the budget, to be unveiled in parliament on Friday, is unlikely to make drastic cuts to subsidies that take up about a fifth of government spending, or include deeper reforms such as reducing a bloated, but politically influential, civil service.

Any wavering over reforms the government has flagged, such the introduction of a Goods and Services Tax (GST), would disappoint investors, uneasy with Malaysia's shrinking current account surplus and a budget gap that is the second-biggest in emerging Asia.

"The government will have to show the political will to address the situation," said Chua Hak Bin, a Singapore-based economist at Bank of America Merrill Lynch.

In July, ratings agency Fitch cut its outlook on Malaysia's sovereign debt to negative, citing gloomier prospects for reforms in the wake of the ruling coalition's weak election result in May that appeared to undermine Najib's standing.

Slowing economic growth is weighing on Malaysia's efforts to improve its finances. Malaysia's central bank cut its forecast for full-year 2013 growth to 4.5-5.0 per cent from 5-6 per cent.

Years of heavy spending, including Mr Najib's own pre-election giveaways and a fast-growing civil service wage bill, have hampered efforts to reduce the chronic budget deficit. Najib aims to trim the gap from 4.5 per cent of GDP in 2012 to 4 per cent in 2013 and 3.5 per cent in 2014 before returning to a surplus by around 2020.

The deficit has pushed Malaysia's national debt to 53.5 per cent of gross domestic product from 43 per cent in 2008, close to a self-imposed limit of 55 per cent.

TRIMMING, NOT SLASHING, SUBSIDIES

Mr Najib, who trimmed fuel subsidies by 3.3 billion ringgit (US$1 billion) per year shortly after the Fitch announcement, prepared the ground for further cuts in a blog post on Sunday.

"I believe we need to take long-term measures to reduce dependence on government subsidies at present so we will not burden future generations," he wrote.

Referring to fuel subsidies, he said: "the money can be channeled to other areas that are more important, such as education and infrastructure improvements." The government has allocated 24.8 billion ringgit for fuel subsidies this year.

Rahul Bajoria, an economist at Barclays Capital in Singapore, said expectations among institutional investors were "quite low" for the budget, and that fuel subsidy cuts would likely be limited.

"There is some expectation he will follow through on the momentum. But he's not going to hike prices by 10 per cent in the next three months or anything like that." Mr Najib said steps would be implemented gradually and that low-income groups would receive help to cope with price rises, signalling another likely round of cash handouts that totalled around 3 billion ringgit in last year's budget.

Malaysian consumers can expect another hit from the new consumption tax, although it is unlikely to be implemented until 2015, three years before the next election falls due. The long-delayed tax, seen as crucial to cut Malaysia's heavy dependence on oil revenues, would replace the current narrower sales and service taxes and apply to all stages of transactions. Currently, only about 10 per cent of Malaysia's workforce pays income taxes.

The tax is likely to be introduced at a rate of at least 4 per cent, which Bajoria of Barclays said would be revenue neutral. Bajoria said the government could opt for a 5 per cent rate, which he said would be revenue positive to the tune of 5-6 billion ringgit.

"It makes sense for them to pull the trigger this time round," Mr Bajoria said.

Mr Najib could also opt to hike the property gains tax in a move to cool property prices, which have risen by about a third in the past three years, with even bigger rises in hot spots such as parts of southern Johor state.

Tough action against speculators could have a knock-on effect on shares in Malaysia-listed property firms such as SP Setia and Mah Sing Group. - Reuters

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/bre...-consumption-tax-curb-budget-deficit-20131022