• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gastronomical disaster .... which is worst ...?? ...

jw5

Loyal
all these are real examples of hawker food standards 'gone down the drain' --

5) or luak with too much tapioca starch & not enuff egg ...

6) or luak with too much egg & not enuff tapioca starch aka omelette ...

Nowadays, they call number 5 "how jian" and number 6 "how dan".
Number 6 of course costs more.

jw5

Loyal
Ok, I will check it out. There is one in Toa Payoh that I go to, its quite good. U have eat outside, and they are in a coffee shop. Forgot the name. Oh yes, I forgot, must have the steamed peanuts too with teochew muay. My problem is I cannot tell PRC store from non PRC store. Most of them when they serve u, they don't open their mouths.
Ask the price of a piece of fish. When he replies, ask why it's so expensive.

You should be able to ascertain by:

1. his accent
2. his logic why the fish is so expensive (if prc, usually absurd or a stretch)
3. the price of the fish (if prc, usually exorbitant)

rofthelper

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, that's the real stuff. Commonly available in KL, Ipoh and Penang, but not in Singapore or even Johor. Thick black soggy but tasty stuff.

To be fair, the Singapore version (white bee hoon and yellow mee mix) was also generally good until the 2000s. The last palatable ones remaining that I can recommend is Beach Road (thin bee hoon dry style), Toa Payoh Lor. 5 and Bedok Interchange (thick bee hoon soggy style). All standards have fallen since the 80s and 90s days but still acceptably palatable.

The last best of the thick soggy style I've tasted was at a Serangoon coffeeshop near Balestier junction. The old man sat on a stool to fry. There were no successor. The Beach Road thin dry style is into 3rd generation.

You can find one in GL Lor 31, kong kee (港记) seafood restaruant, served in thick noodle with black sauce. Solid. :smile:

rofthelper

Alfrescian
Loyal
Satay bee hoon without the satay sauce. :eek:

Sorry, Chye Buay I meant. Unfortunately, the quality of the chye buay is going down hill. SOme are almost tasteless. U got any lobang or not for good teochew muay? Oh yes, it must be eaten with the stew taupok in the soya sauce, and porridge. :biggrin:

Miss the owen road stall.

rofthelper

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thankfully, i have great stalls to recommend for fried carrot cake and hokkien mee and they are both found in the hawker centre at AMK central (the one opposite Jubilee). The hokkien mee is excellent (not too dry, great stock, slightly burnt noodles and not too oily) while the carrot cake is just right with the amount of eggs, crispy cake and chye poh.

Bro, you mean the S11 Kopitiam besides thee jubilee or the hawker ctr further down one? The carrot cake & satay mee hoon is nice there.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bro, you mean the S11 Kopitiam besides thee jubilee or the hawker ctr further down one? The carrot cake & satay mee hoon is nice there.

It's the hawker centre further down, theres nothing to shout about at the S11 Kopitiam :biggrin:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It's the hawker centre further down, theres nothing to shout about at the S11 Kopitiam :biggrin:

I agree. The fried carrot cake is good. The hokkein mee by a young man is also good - last time no queue, now long queue... The fat man satay beehoon also not bad..standard drops a little but still passable. the duck kway teow is also not bad - husband and wife team, and the mother helping also...of course the yong tau foo is long queue...i tried but not that good to queue for an hour !!!! the fat boy's dry meepok is not bad...used to run by his father....the soup is nice...but now the dry meepok is better....

Many nice stalls there in AMK Town Central hawker centre....standard not bad lah...but the meegoreng and the soto ayam standard have plunged quite badly!!!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kallang Bahru used to have the best satay bee hoon in the world from early 80s to mid 90s. There was a branch in Sims Place, all ran by brothers. All gone now. They went into other business in PRC, last I heard. Now the best is Upper Boon Keng. The one at Toa Payoh Hub food court also not bad, the one with kangkong cuttlefish also. I usually hate food court food, but there was once I tried it with a friend, this one not serious culinary delicasy but palatable and reasonably priced.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I agree. The fried carrot cake is good. The hokkein mee by a young man is also good - last time no queue, now long queue... The fat man satay beehoon also not bad..standard drops a little but still passable. the duck kway teow is also not bad - husband and wife team, and the mother helping also...of course the yong tau foo is long queue...i tried but not that good to queue for an hour !!!! the fat boy's dry meepok is not bad...used to run by his father....the soup is nice...but now the dry meepok is better....

Many nice stalls there in AMK Town Central hawker centre....standard not bad lah...but the meegoreng and the soto ayam standard have plunged quite badly!!!

I never had the yong ta hu before, can't be assed to queue up or the chicken rice either. Thankfully the duck is still pretty good but the malay store now too
'clean' already and not like before

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Despite living in Thailand for years, I've never liked the common Thai thin kway teow (senlek). I still prefer broad kway teow (senyai). It's also available in Thailand but less common. In recent years, it's also getting less and less common in Singapore. Many fishball kway teow mee, bak chor mee and char bee hoon mee stalls have replaced it with a thinner kway teow (but not as thin as the Thai senlek). For me, that's a gastronomical disaster. I never order kway teow from these stalls since.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Kallang Bahru used to have the best satay bee hoon in the world from early 80s to mid 90s. There was a branch in Sims Place, all ran by brothers. All gone now. They went into other business in PRC, last I heard. Now the best is Upper Boon Keng. The one at Toa Payoh Hub food court also not bad, the one with kangkong cuttlefish also. I usually hate food court food, but there was once I tried it with a friend, this one not serious culinary delicasy but palatable and reasonably priced.

I oredi mentioned the satay beehoon in Koufu at Toa Payoh, its good.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can anyone tell me where can i find kway chap or pig organ soup that also serves pig blood and lungs? Really miss these.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can anyone tell me where can i find kway chap or pig organ soup that also serves pig blood and lungs? Really miss these.

Pork blood is longer available in Singapore. Go Hatyai, a coffeeshop near the junction of Nipa-uthit 2 and Thoomnonvithi. One of the best pig organ soup stall left in the world. The stall is run by Thai Teochew, so don't worry if you can't speak Thai. Breakfast-to-lunch time only. Be prepared to wait half to one hour. Don't bother if you can't make it there by 1 p.m.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not yet, but in my opinion, the best claypot rice stalls are in the hawker centre at Chinatown/Smith street.

Best 2 was said to be 1 in clementi (near mrt), 1 in geylang (lor 30+). Both supposedly use charcoal grill. Time to cook about 30min-45mins. Clementi one got call in. Order and then arrive can eat.